Starting woes

Morne

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Morne
My last two out of four starts have been difficult.

In both cases the plane sat for awhile between flights (2 weeks and 3 weeks, respectively - welcome to winter flying in NorthEast Ohio). Battery cart ground-power plug and she started just fine both times. No difficulties noted inflight (1.5+ hours of flying at a time) so I do not suspect any alternator/generator problems.

I have only owned this plane for 17 months. Without digging into the logs, my guess is the battery is more than 5 years old. Should I just go ahead and replace it? If so, what brand? A bit of internet searching seems to rain praise on Concorde (RG-35AXC for my C182E).

Another thought is that I could buy a trickle-charger to keep the battery tip-top. Both of the hard starts were on COLD days (it was 6 F when I left for the airport this morning). I already keep a Tanis engine heater plugged in for the cold, but there is still an open outlet in the hangar for a trickle-charger if needed.

Or both?

Anything else I am forgetting?

Get the trickle charger first, just to see what happens. You're going to want it for a new battery anyway, so there's no cost difference.

My last two out of four starts have been difficult.

In both cases the plane sat for awhile between flights (2 weeks and 3 weeks, respectively - welcome to winter flying in NorthEast Ohio). Battery cart ground-power plug and she started just fine both times. No difficulties noted inflight (1.5+ hours of flying at a time) so I do not suspect any alternator/generator problems.

I have only owned this plane for 17 months. Without digging into the logs, my guess is the battery is more than 5 years old. Should I just go ahead and replace it? If so, what brand? A bit of internet searching seems to rain praise on Concorde (RG-35AXC for my C182E).

Another thought is that I could buy a trickle-charger to keep the battery tip-top. Both of the hard starts were on COLD days (it was 6 F when I left for the airport this morning). I already keep a Tanis engine heater plugged in for the cold, but there is still an open outlet in the hangar for a trickle-charger if needed.

Or both?

Anything else I am forgetting?

Get the trickle charger first, just to see what happens. You're going to want it for a new battery anyway, so there's no cost difference.
Do you have a brand and/or source recommendation?

I like the Concorde. Put one in early last year. I was having trouble with starts and used a trickle charger. The charger would get it there but it wouldn't stay up. It's been great since I put the Concorde in.

I bought the Battery Tender aviation model. Type Aviation in the search box on their website to see it. It was a bit pricier than the others but supposedly set specifically for aviation batteries. None of them are expensive.

Mine has been problem-free for a couple of years since purchase.
Do you have a brand and/or source recommendation?

If the battery is five years old it has served its time. Save yourself some hassle and replace it.

I think the jury is still out on this issue, once the battery tender is employed. A number of shop customers have reported that their batteries have been rejuvenated by the desulfidation and ongoing charge routine. I wouldn't count on it, but sure wouldn't turn it down if it happens.

If the battery is five years old it has served its time. Save yourself some hassle and replace it.

Back