Starting the CFI/CFII without flying funds

121Dispatch

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FltPlanner
It's going on a year since I got my commercial certificate, and I really haven't had the funds to put into flying (new jobs and move to a new city for my wife and I...and a mortgage still in the old city), and I'm really getting the itch to do some more flying stuff. I took the FOI exam last week, and plan to take the AGI, an probably CFI/CFII this month - because my flying funds are non-existent, so I figure I can get the AGI, and other writtens cheap enough, and why not...

My question regarding the CFI is: Are there are any reasons to not start the ground portion of the CFI training without having flying funds readily available? I imagine it'll be at least 3 months before I'm able to fly again, so can I at least get started with an instructor on putting lesson plans together in the meantime, or is it better to fly and do lesson plans at the same time? I guess I'm just not sure the standard way of teaching CFI candidates.

I have been looking into this, and the trainers I'm going to use advised getting the writtens done and out of the way, as long as you'll complete the cert within the two years before the written expires.

I believe the flying portion is less important and less work than the ground portion of the CFI. (I did not say unimportant)

There is a lot of work involved in learning how to teach this skill, putting together your lesson plans and back up material.

I spent at least 3 months doing it, don't remember exactly. I support your plan to do the ground portion now. May I suggest you find the instructor you're going to work with and sit down and lay out your plan of action.

Good luck!

Joe

Thanks for the replies so far...that's pretty much my plan
1. Take the writtens
2. Develop Lesson Plans
3. Learn to Teach/Fly from the right seat
4. Tweak previously worked lesson plans as necessary based on the in-flight teaching

With any luck, you can take the writtens (do the AGI at the same time as the CFI written), and actually teach some ground school while you're working on the flight stuff. You'll learn to put the FOI theories into practice on the ground, and find the teaching of the flying easier later as a result.

That's my plan, anyway.

For others - is there any benefit in getting the BGI certificate if I'm getting the AGI anyway? Don't see any sense in shelling out the extra $$ for another exam if I don't have to.

For others - is there any benefit in getting the BGI certificate if I'm getting the AGI anyway? Don't see any sense in shelling out the extra $$ for another exam if I don't have to.

None whatsoever.

Dispatch - Go for it. You have to know enough for the initial that you'll be able to keep plenty busy in the mean time, without worrying about learning to land from the right seat.

If you want to put that time to real use getting you ready for the initial CFI practical test, go sign up for a Teaching 101 class in the Education Department at your local college. That's what being a CFI is really about.

If you want to put that time to real use getting you ready for the initial CFI practical test, go sign up for a Teaching 101 class in the Education Department at your local college. That's what being a CFI is really about.

Very true...after dispatching for 7 years i took a dispatch instructor job at the airline (no instructor certificate required to teach Dispatcher/ATP knowledge stuff - go figure), anyways, my first class was pretty much awful - I knew the material like the back of my hand, but never really had a formal way to teach it...especially to people who needed a different spin in order to be effective.

Long story short - as time progressed, I became much more organized, and able to use time effectively. My last few classes were MUCH better than that first one. I'm sure a teaching class would improve my style and technique much more as well. That is an option I will throw on the table for myself.

Put the effort into writing all your own lesson plans. Sure, you can use copies or published plans. But, you'll learn the most from what you research and write up on your own.

The hardest part is just establishing a format then use it consistently for all of your plans and outlines. Write outlines for both the FOI and Technical Subject Areas. They'll be good for learning and then studying for the oral.

Lastly, all those seemingly simple things a private pilot is supposed to know... make sure you do know them. Otherwise, you'll be quite surprised what won't easily rise to the top when you're asked.

Well, step 1 is complete...took FOI last week, and today took the AGI and FIA writtens...100/99/99 respectively. I called the FSDO to set up an appt for the AGI certificate, and they said just to come in, and they would take care of me when I got there. So, I drove over, and 30 minutes from walking in the door I walked out with another certificate to add to the collection. Now on to lesson plan development.

Well, step 1 is complete...took FOI last week, and today took the AGI and FIA writtens...100/99/99 respectively. I called the FSDO to set up an appt for the AGI certificate, and they said just to come in, and they would take care of me when I got there. So, I drove over, and 30 minutes from walking in the door I walked out with another certificate to add to the collection. Now on to lesson plan development.
Show off! :D

Not shabby on the scores!

Having recently completed a set of lesson plans, if I can help ya with some ideas, drop a message on me. Start with the CFI PTS and build from there.

And, remember....

Google_Friend.gif

Back