Starting an avionics shop?

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
So once again, I'm day-dreaming on career stuff - toying once again with the idea of getting out of IT and going back to avionics (8 years experience in Navy avionics, altho 20+ years ago).

Where does one start the research on what's required for general aviation avionics repair?

gkainz said:
So once again, I'm day-dreaming on career stuff - toying once again with the idea of getting out of IT and going back to avionics (8 years experience in Navy avionics, altho 20+ years ago).

Where does one start the research on what's required for general aviation avionics repair?

Greg, who does your avionics now? It's a place to start if you are on good terms....

I'm a renter, so I haven't dealt with shops here... I've thought about talking to a few of the local shops, but how does one approach that conversation?

"Hi! I want to be your competition. Care to tell me how it works?" I don't think I'm going to get the response I'm hoping for on that approach!

gkainz said:
I'm a renter, so I haven't dealt with shops here... I've thought about talking to a few of the local shops, but how does one approach that conversation?

"Hi! I want to be your competition. Care to tell me how it works?" I don't think I'm going to get the response I'm hoping for on that approach!

Use that old sailor charm...LOL. "Wow, that looks like something really interesting. How do you go about starting out in this business....?"

Greg,

I was thinking the same thing but not getting out of IT but out of Instrument calibrations. I would like to here what people have to say.

Bob

Greg,

As you know, a good way to learn the business and how to start one up is to work for an avionics shop first. I use Freedom Avionics at Jeffco. Cliff (don't know last name) is a really nice guy. He seems like the kind of guy that would give advice or maybe know of positions available in the area.

gkainz said:

Rather than trying to set up in a market already well served, see if you can find an area that could grow. Either a field where there is a big continuous backlog of work or someplace that doesn't have any good avionics options today. And when looking at existing shops for information, I'd try a couple places I didn't expect to be in direct competition with. In any case if you talk this over with someone who wants to sell you thier existing business expect to get a rather optimistic picture.:)

I'd think you'd lean the most by getting a job at a good existing shop for a year or so and then strike out on your own.

lancefisher said:
Either a field where there is a big continuous backlog of work or someplace that doesn't have any good avionics options today.

From the stories I've heard that could be most of California if you make it great avionics options. The need for someone who can diagnose and fix the hard problems seems enormous.

I like the option of working at an existing facility to learn the business. The pay may not be great but at least it's guaranteed positive cash flow.

Joe

Back