Starting a new web site - what do I need?

Vinny

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Cousin Vinny
So apparently I have way too much free time on my hands. I'm looking to create a family website that has two or three blogs, newsletter page, a photo/video album, not sure what else yet. Once upon a time I used to know something about computers and basic html, but these days my knowledge is limited to hardware and some off-the shelf software. I know bupkus about apache, php and mySQL. So these may not even sound like intelligent questions:

- how many mySQL databases do I need? One for each blog, plus one for the photo album? (I'm thinking all the applications I use will be php based)

- What's a fair price to pay for hosting? There are plenty of free hosts out there that use apache, php and mySQL but they usually limit you to one database. So, you get what you pay for.

-my wife may be getting herself a mac soon, so maybe I should wait until then and set things up on a mac website?

You'll basically need a domain name, Web hosting, and time.

I am hesitant to recommend Web hosting because so often, a host that used to be excellent degrades to something less so. However, Hosting Zoom, the company selling this plan (which should meet your requirements unless you need some really weird settings in php.ini, etc.) has been consistently good for shared hosting for a number of years.

I have one of my VPS accounts with HZ's VPS division and have been having some intermittent problems with it; but now I think the problems may have been my own fault. I made some changes today and things improved, so we'll see. In any case, I was on their shared hosting for years and was very, very happy.

As for SQL databases, that plan will give you plenty both in contract and performance terms. It also offers Fantastico, which is an almost sinfully easy way to install all sorts of (mainly) open-source blogs, message boards, galleries, and all sorts of other stuff with very little configuration.

Of course, since it's shared, you won't have shell access; but for what you want to do I doubt that you'd need it, anyway. Unless you feel like coding for the sheer joy of it (which I can kind of understand; I rather enjoy working with PHP myself), someone else probably has created open-source software to do whatever you want to do, and chances are it's a one-click install using Fantastico.

As for development tools, that's a personal preference. Some just use a text editor, others like FrontPage, others swear by GoLive, but I like DreamWeaver for the best balance between speed and control over the code. It has a steep learning curve, though.

Another option would be a CMS (Content Management System). There are dozens of them out there. (My brother swears by Joomla. I think it's a resource hog, personally.) But if you want to use a CMS, you either have to choose a shared hosting provider that supports the one you like, or else get a VPS and install it yourself. You can test drive some CMS's here.

You shouldn't need to know beans about Apache on shared hosting except possibly how to make entries in the .htaccess file, which is easy stuff. (On a VPS, you would have to become fairly intimate with Apache, but not on shared hosting.) Everything you need to do, and then some, you should be able to do through cPanel.

As for other hosts I've dealt with, Apollo Hosting used to be quite good, but I haven't dealt with them for a while. Another outfit named JustHosting turned out to be a nightmare. MidPhase is excellent for VPS hosting and dedicated servers, but I wasn't very impressed with their shared hosting.

Have fun!

Rich

Last edited:
Honestly? I don't think you want to get that involved.

Check out the wild assortment of available blog services like blogspot and myspace.

You can do it all with one SQL database, and multiple tables.

This could be a good project if you're looking to learn while you go. If you already know the stuff, then yeah, use a service that exists already.

Hosting companies are cheap these days. I use EMWD (www.emwd.com, I get a month free hosting worth $5 if they see I've recommended them!). A friend of mine owns this one, and I'd recommend it because he's a pilot and good guy.

Back