Starter Issue

david0tey

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Fox-Three
Our 1977 Cessna 172N has the highly treasured 0-320 H2AD engine (sarcasm). Anyway, whenever I try to hot start after a lengthy flight, the starter won't engage the flywheel. You can hear the starter spinning, but the prop doesn't budge. Usually, after one or two tries, it will eventually catch. However, yesterday after a 3 hour flight, it took about an hour for us to finally get it started. It clearly is somehow related to the high engine temperatures but I'm no mechanic. Our local mechanic says we need a new starter, but that's how he makes his money. Any unpaid advice would be appreciated.

I'd try a shot of WD-40 or similar on the shaft the starter gear slides on first. My starter was doing the same thing and the lube fixed it.

I'd try a shot of WD-40 or similar on the shaft the starter gear slides on first. My starter was doing the same thing and the lube fixed it.
I would also try lube on the shaft, but WD-40 is not "lube".

Using lube on it is the reason it's sticking now. That thing relies on inertia for the screw to push it out, and any stickiness just spins the whole drive instead of the screw within the Bendix. Oily lubricants attract dust and dry out and make it stick. Heat makes it stickier.

The manufacturer specified dry silicone spray. Getting it in there is hard. If there's already gunk in there, it needs to come off the engine and come apart for cleaning.

I would also try lube on the shaft, but WD-40 is not "lube".

But it is better than nothing, plus it is a cleaner/solvent, and will clean the crud that is preventing the gear from sliding on the shaft.

Get you some WD-40 and a roll of duct tape and you won't need a mechanic anymore!

If you want to clean the starter drive try aerosol electrical contact cleaner. It's the best solvent I know of and it dries quickly without spooging up the surrounding area. If it helps? Talk to your mechanic about it. If it doesn't? No need to mention that you second guessed his advice.

Get you some WD-40 and a roll of duct tape and you won't need a mechanic anymore!

If you want to clean the starter drive try aerosol electrical contact cleaner. It's the best solvent I know of and it dries quickly without spooging up the surrounding area. If it helps? Talk to your mechanic about it. If it doesn't? No need to mention that you second guessed his advice.

Trouble with either of these products is the crud is in a cavity and will not be removed. contact cleaner will dry quicker thus you'll be doing a short term fix.

Yup. And if it works short term he should ask his mechanic to address the problem for the long term.

Yup. And if it works short term he should ask his mechanic to address the problem for the long term.

which would be either disassemble the starter and clean it and most likely replace the bendix, which would probably cost as much as replacing the starter, or replace the starter as he advised in the first place.

Back