Started My Training

Born2Fight

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Born
After months of lurking around these forums, I finally started my flight lessons and I love it. I never imagined it would be this much fun to actually be in a small plane (Cessna 172).
I have been to few schools here in Ft Worth area and part 141 claims they are better than 61. But I feel like I'll be better off with 61 because of the freedom. I have talked to this older gentleman recently, who claims to be in flying business (confusing right?) for last 33 years, and he told me that after I get my PPL, it is all downhill. I want to be CFI when I grow up. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Welcome!

As far as the PPL being the highlight, I would heartily disagree. Training for my PPL was definitely a lot of fun, and something I wouldn't trade for anything; but I've gotten to do some really fun, cool things since my PPL that I couldn't have imagined back then.

No lie, the PPL is great, but it is just a license to learn. After that, you can get an instrument ticket, learn to fly complex airplanes, try your hands at tailwheel aircraft or aerobatic machines...

What is your background, how old are you? When you say your goal is to become a CFI, it is very difficult to make a living as a CFI, but it is 100% possible to get another job that pays the bills and get your CFI on the side, which is what I'm currently trying to do.

Howdy neighbor from Denton! And welcome to PoA

What school are you flying with? Who is your instructor?

Every once and a while,a bunch of us gather for breakfast at the Blue Hangar at Northwest Regional. You are welcome to join us next time!

In the mean time, feel free to ask us any questions you think of. Some good folk are here and are very willing to help!

Do part 61.

I'd done both, 141 is a pain in the @$$. Even if you don't need a specific lesson, just because it's in the curriculum you have to spend money on it.

FLY0210_school_620x668.jpg

Welcome!

As far as the PPL being the highlight, I would heartily disagree. Training for my PPL was definitely a lot of fun, and something I wouldn't trade for anything; but I've gotten to do some really fun, cool things since my PPL that I couldn't have imagined back then.

No lie, the PPL is great, but it is just a license to learn. After that, you can get an instrument ticket, learn to fly complex airplanes, try your hands at tailwheel aircraft or aerobatic machines...

What is your background, how old are you? When you say your goal is to become a CFI, it is very difficult to make a living as a CFI, but it is 100% possible to get another job that pays the bills and get your CFI on the side, which is what I'm currently trying to do.

Well, I'm 28, military, and just got back from Afghanistan.
Since military will pay everything after PPL, I want to be a CFI and keep it as an option and probably not going to be a full time. I'll probably do exactly what you are doing.
Thanks

[/QUOTE]
Howdy neighbor from Denton! And welcome to PoA

What school are you flying with? Who is your instructor?

Every once and a while,a bunch of us gather for breakfast at the Blue Hangar at Northwest Regional. You are welcome to join us next time!

In the mean time, feel free to ask us any questions you think of. Some good folk are here and are very willing to help! [/QUOTE]

I will definitely join for the breakfast as I am a morning person and found out that morning is the best time to fly. I am currently flying at Spinks and rather not say my CFI's name (although he is cool as hell), because I want to evaluate him through PoA's enormous talents.

Last edited:
Download the free ebook at www.FreeFlyBook.com. No sign up necessary, just click the link and download the .pdf. It will answer just about any question that can come up for a new student pilot. 70 pages with illustrations.

I will definitely join for the breakfast as I am a morning person and found out that morning is the best time to fly. I am currently flying at Spinks and rather not say my CFI's name (although he is cool as hell), because I want to evaluate him through PoA's enormous talents.

I can't recall the name right off the bat, but I have often heard of a Spinks based CFI who gets lots of good reports from his students. Good on ya to get hooked up with a good one!

Oh, and THANK YOU!!! for your service in Afghanistan.

If you can make it to breakfast this Saturday, let's plan on it. 8:00am, The Blue Hangar Cafe, Northwest Regional Airport (52F) http://goo.gl/maps/3Zlu8

Last edited:
Download the free ebook at FreeflyBook. No sign up necessary, just click the link and download the .pdf. It will answer just about any question that can come up for a new student pilot. 70 pages with illustrations.

Great info and thanks. This is definitely helpful for newbie like me.

I can't recall the name right off the bat, but I have often heard of a Spinks based CFI who gets lots of good reports from his students. Good on ya to get hooked up with a good one!

Oh, and THANK YOU!!! for your service in Afghanistan.

If you can make it to breakfast this Saturday, let's plan on it. 8:00am, The Blue Hangar Cafe, Northwest Regional Airport (52F)

I talked to my CFI and he said weather is going to be sh***y. Some other day perhaps.
What are your thoughts on brand new guy like me joining a flying club or even partnership on an AC? After I get my PPL of course.
Thanks.

I had the same decision to make when I piked a school. One airport about 35 minutes from my house offers lessons fairly cheaply at like $39 for a CFI, than had block payments for planes for a 152 making it like $95 wet, a 172 was about $110 wet, and a Warrior was $128 wet. This is not truly a school but really the club hooks you up with CFI's. All the planes though are owned by the flight club, so you need to join the club to rent. The club is $45 per month.

A second school is 5 minutes from my house, but is run in a more traditional manor. They charge $48 for an instructor and $133 for a Warrior. Catch there is they knock 15% off the price if you bulk pay in $1000 increments. That brings the Warrior to $114, and the CFI to $41. The local school is slightly more expensive when the dust settles, but I decided why drive 35 minutes both ways when I can get there in 5. My time was worth more than the $15 I would save by learning in the 152. Plus, I wanted to learn in the Piper because I may have a Piper at my disposal once I get my ticket.

Block pay at $1000 increments is acceptable, since that's the most you risk if something goes off the rails and you now longer can get your money refunded. But if a school says you need to pay everything up front, politely say, "No Way" and depart the premises.

Otto; $114 for a Warrior and $40-ish for the instructor is reasonable. That's about what I paid in 2010 at US Aviation in Denton, flying a Diamond DA20.

Born; As you've seen our discussions here, joining a club can be a good way to gain access to good aircraft and keep the expense of flying to a reasonable level. You make some good friends, have a chance to learn about how to maintain aircraft, and perhaps have access to equipment that you would not be able to afford on your own. Club rules differ on student pilots, but some do exist across the country that permit students to learn in their aircraft.

Once you have your PPL, finding a club to join is a great idea.

(PS..your instructor wouldn't be Jake Huffman, would it?)

:rolleyes: Well, I wasn't originally thinking you'd fly up for breakfast. Could you drive up and join us?

I might just drive.
And I talked to Jake about doing instrument and commercial, since he is a VA approved school, he is very knowledgeable guy and is ex military. The catch is he charges $55 an hour while other CFIs in the same school charge $45 an hour. I do not agree with that, but I think he is proud that he knows more than others.

I might just drive.
And I talked to Jake about doing instrument and commercial, since he is a VA approved school, he is very knowledgeable guy and is ex military. The catch is he charges $55 an hour while other CFIs in the same school charge $45 an hour. I do not agree with that, but I think he is proud that he knows more than others.

Considering the cost of the plane you are paying about 5% more for that instructor. If you think he's better and will get you finished up even a little bit sooner, its worth it. Think about how much time and money you'll save if you can skip out on 2-3 lessons

:rolleyes: Well, I wasn't originally thinking you'd fly up for breakfast. Could you drive up and join us?

I am in for 8:00 Saturday. Had fun last time. Will bring wife and kids.

Last edited:
I might just drive.

If the quality of instruction justifies the $10 delta, I have absolutely no problem paying that.

For a rating that took you 50 hours to acquire, for example, that's a $500 difference. But if it makes you a much better pilot because the experience was better than the $45/hour time builders, then that's a pittance compared to the hours you'd spend in aircraft rental figuring it out for yourself.

And from what I have heard about Jake, you have found a good guy for what you wish to accomplish.

And we drop $500 an more on a headsets and portable gadgets and smartphones and video game consoles... and they do very little to teach us how to become a good stick.

Last edited:
Keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow. My last three cancelled due to weather, the map for tomorrow looks iffy, predicting MVFR in my area. I am only doing pattern work though, so maybe OK. So, I can feel your pain.

FYI breakfast at Blue Hangar is cancelled. Brian posted on his Facebook page that they are having water supply issues. We will reschedule soon.

Back