Starlink for aviation...

pburger

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Paul B.
Starlink for Aviation is coming in 2023.:drool:

So, I got an email about Starlink for in-motion use for RVs (the 4-wheeled kind). I don't have an RV (either kind), so I don't know why I got that e-mail. I went to the Starlink website and found out that it's $135/month + a one-time charge of $599. I suppose if you spent a lot of time in an RV in remote places, this might not be a bad deal.

I'm easily distracted by shiny objects, so when I saw the Aviation tab, I clicked on it. It's just a little bit more than the RV plan...:sigh:

https://www.starlink.com/aviation

Starlink isn't marketing to us bugsmashers. I suspect at some point they'll offer a product to us, but that's a little rich for us folk...

That's just what I need ... streaming video in the cockpit on the flight deck ...

Starlink isn't marketing to us bugsmashers. I suspect at some point they'll offer a product to us, but that's a little rich for us folk...
I could see them doing something the size of deck of cards that you could put on the glares shield at some point. But no way they’d go certified for all the spam cans.

when I saw the Aviation tab, I clicked on it. It's just a little bit more than the RV plan
But it is an interesting ballpark view into what airlines pay for satcom…

One of the biggest future segments of aviation will be drones, which will need airborne internet access for command & control, remote ID, traffic, etc. I suspect we may benefit as a byproduct.

12.5-25 AMUs/Month for aviation starlink service?!
I think I'll just buy the RV kit and duct-tape the panel dish to the roof of the arrow and hope for the best! :eek:

One of the biggest future segments of aviation will be drones, which will need airborne internet access for command & control, remote ID, traffic, etc. I suspect we may benefit as a byproduct.
Would the lag time allow that to work? for that? Perhaps for some aspects?

Would the lag time allow that to work? for that? Perhaps for some aspects?
It should. Drones aren't controlled lik RC airplanes; even under manual control rhe drone is given altitude, heading, and speed instructions, so minor latency issues generally aren't an issue.

Back