Stall warning, we asked the experts

motoadve

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
motoadve
Milne "CC" Pocock, Cory Robin, Paddy pilot and Jughead are guests on this video about the stall warning on approach and final to short landings, bad procedure? good procedure?

I consider that the only time I should hear the warning is just right before touch down. Any other time it’s not safe.

For me the risk would be too high. Wind shear or engine failure and the lost of lift from not having thrust on the wings, it may result into a stall. Be carful.

Smooth air, no wind shear, small wind component, no problem.

Turbulence, wind shear, and a >30°crosswind component, no thanks.

I like to hear the stall horn chirp at about the same time as the tires chirp onto the runway

I've never had a stall warning horn in any of the planes I've owned, never missed it.

The planes in @motoadve videos usually all have Angle of Attack indicators. I believe using one of these correctly gives more accurate data on the stall. They allow you to push that envelope a lot further when compared to stall horn use alone.

As a specialized technique to get into a very small and short strip, I’m still a nope. It’s flying on the edge of your envelope. One little gust and you can be in trouble.

@motoadve in reference to comments above, what are the typical wind/gust conditions that you face in most of your short-field landings?

My conditions often feature strong winds and heavy mechanical turbulence. Plus the air and ground temperatures are high, and the runway thresholds are often near the edge of the water. This means that there is a pronounced tendency to drop rapidly before reaching land. I'm not sure that I'd want to fly the edge of the envelope on a typical day. But, the most useful message from your experts may be "know your airplane!"

But, the most useful message from your experts may be "know your airplane!"
That there. The stall warning is set at the factory to sound at 5 to 10 knots (MPH) before the stall. That's a wide range. And then many of those systems have loose or cracked components that leak, or the vane switch is worn out, or the vane or slot plate is misadjusted, and the warning could come long before it should or after the stall or not at all. Without taking the airplane up and actually stalling it and noting the indicated airspeed when the nose falls, you don't know how accurate it is and cannot rely on it.

Yeager said in reference to angle of attack, "If you don't know, you shouldn't be flying."

My plane has no audible stall warning and I never get to the point of the aerodynamic buffet on landings. Despite the common misuse of the term, aircraft are not normally stalled during landings.

I've never had a stall warning horn in any of the planes I've owned, never missed it.

I have one- same one you did… called the seat of our pants… lil buffet n TW time to lower the nose…

I didn’t know mine didn’t have one till I practiced stalls in it when she was new to me… later I realized nothing had beeped at me :)

Back