Stage Check ramblings

J-Town8890

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
J-Town8890
Hello folks,

I'm scheduled for a stage-2 check through my flight school on Saturday (assuming since my instructor didn't call and say it was called off) and I just had a few thoughts on the whole thing.

Background, I started working on my private license June of 2009, didn't do a complete solo cross country until this last January (attempt in July was aborted because of weather). I go to college in Springfield (an hour away from Joplin, where I fly out of) so that's why I have incredibly long layoffs between stages.

That being said, this stage two check apparently deals with diversions and lost procedures. With this in mind how much leeway is usually given by examiners in a procedure with regards to accuracy in plotting a new course on the fly in both maintaining a heading and then calculating fuel burn / ETA?

Any responses would be nice and I'll probably have more nonsense to bring up down the road.

Best I can offer is to not get too fixated on working the task and allow the aircraft to wander.

First make sure to turn on the approximate heading and make sure the aircraft is trimmed for hands off straight and level. Then work the diversion problem for about 15 seconds or so, and look up to regain bearings, verify your still straight and level, scan for traffic and remain in positive control. Rinse and repeat without spending too much time with your eyes inside of the airplane.

Be sure to work lots of practice problems with your E6B and sectional. Confidence in knowing the correct steps is key. But it's not a race either. I'm not a DPE, but it's my take that the exercise demonstrates not only that you can work the diversion problem of heading, distance, ETE, and fuel consumed, but also that you can safely pilot the craft within PTS standards while managing a big distraction.

A DPE that I have talked w/ lately regarding just this thing said that he doesn't want the applicants to get out the E6B and start all that up as they tend to wander terribly and get off alitutde etc. He says he'd rather see them turn to an approximate heading then tighten it up by referencing their chart - possibly using the closest VOR rose and then figure a reasonable estimate of time and fuel needed in their head. You can get a small aviation "ruler" like from AOPA or ASF to keep on your kneeboard for measuring distance and you can also use your pencil or fingers and measure off the scale that's verticle on the chart - latitude scale - compare it to a plotter - I have known folks to take a paring knife and cut little marks in the side of their pencil for 10nm increments too.
Also, if you can use the VOR to help you head to the diversion destination do so.
Your CFIs and stage check guy/gal may think otherwise....

"How many fingers = 10nm" is a tip I've heard also. And it's good for the quick estimate.

The primary things I remember from my checkride was that I needed to hold altitude within PTS, maintain the heading toward the diversion, and work the problem within a reasonable amount of time.

Another tip on working the fuel consumed part of the problem is to already know how many gallons your craft consumes every 10 minutes. Then once you know the time to your diversion point, you can quickly do the math.

Again, the main point is to see how well you can fly within the PTS while under a major mental distraction. As you work, check the attitude indicator, heading, and altitude. And check outside the aircraft periodically for traffic.

He says he'd rather see them turn to an approximate heading then tighten it up by referencing their chart - possibly using the closest VOR rose and then figure a reasonable estimate of time and fuel needed in their head.

Just think. As they remove the VORs, those useful little compass roses all over the charts will disappear too. I've used that trick. :(

And there's a whole generation coming up who says, "VOR? What's that?" ;)

Just think. As they remove the VORs, those useful little compass roses all over the charts will disappear too. I've used that trick. :(

And there's a whole generation coming up who says, "VOR? What's that?" ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~
Yep, and I think it's a damn shame. I like VORs as back up for the GPS and as adjunct to pilotage.....

Back