Stabilator vs. elevator

Irish_Armada

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Irish Armada
What, if any, are the main differences in flight characteristics of a stabilator vs. a conventional horizontal stabilizer with elevator? Anything significant? I ask because all my flight time has been in 172s and I might have access to a Cherokee 180 soon. Thanks.

You'll probably need a 2 hour check out. [/CFIFullEmploymentAssociation]

With one when you push forward on the stick the houses get bigger; on the other type when you pull back the houses get smaller and vis versa.

Lots of design reasons but nothing that affects your flying the airplane. ;)

Cheers

don't get any ice on it and you won't be able to tell the difference.

I usually fly a Piper Turbo Dakota and spent an hour in a 172 S last Thursday. I'd say the elevator on the 172 required more force than the stabilator on the Dakota. Other than that, no major differences.

That said, lose the anti-servo tab on the stabilator and it's going to be a bad day. Lose the trim tab on the elevator and it's pretty much a "so what" event.

don't get any ice on it and you won't be able to tell the difference.

Just curious, what's the difference between the two in regards to ice?

Lose the trim tab on the elevator and it's pretty much a "so what" event.

Unless you are in the galloping ghost.

Galloping-Ghost-Trim-Tab-Sep-NTSB-Photo-0812a.jpg

I don't notice much if any difference between the two in flight. Any difference is masked by the differences in general flight characteristics between the Cherokee and the 172.

None. The critical factor in ice accretion is the radius of the collecting surface, not how it is actuated.

Bob Gardner

Just my opinion, but in my experience light planes with flying tails seem more prone to stabilator buffet in icing compared with fixed horizontal stab and hinged elevator. PA32's in particulator are very intolerant of ice on the tail compared to a 210 or A36 with fixed horizontal stab.

The 180 is a little heavier than the172 both fly great you shouldn't notice any major difference.

The trim wheel is noticeably more sensitive on the Cherokee, and the linkages are harder to inspect during preflight.

That's about it. They fly more or less the same.

The trim wheel is noticeably more sensitive on the Cherokee, and the linkages are harder to inspect during preflight.

That's about it. They fly more or less the same.

Not really my experience. Trim on cessnas is easier to use and more effective. Based on about 250 hours split evenly between 1980's cessnas and same vintage pa28's

Unless you are in the galloping ghost.

Galloping-Ghost-Trim-Tab-Sep-NTSB-Photo-0812a.jpg

I heard one of the top guys at the NTSB, Earl Weener, talk about this at Michigan. It really was fascinating. A quick google search turned up his slides, which you can look through (link: http://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/speeches/weener/weener_121109.pdf). The talk really helped the slides make sens, but there are some really interesting photos in there. It turns out that the were able to trace (most of?) the immediate cause back to one bolt.

In my experience, pitch trim in stabilator-equipped airplanes tends to "wander" a bit more in cruise than in those with stabilizers, elevators and trim tabs. No biggie, just a bit more "fine tuning" is called for.

What, if any, are the main differences in flight characteristics of a stabilator vs. a conventional horizontal stabilizer with elevator? Anything significant? I ask because all my flight time has been in 172s and I might have access to a Cherokee 180 soon. Thanks.

I don't have much time in Cherokees, and never noticed any real pitch sensitivity when I did fly them.

My Cardinal RG had a stabilator, though, and it was FAR more pitch sensitive than all the other Cessnas I have flown. That was only a concern when landing, as I tended to over-control it.

I was always a little more concerned with the inherent structural integrity of a stabilator than a fixed stabilizer with a smaller moveable surface, though.

I am happy with the heavier feel of my 210, although I miss the fuel economy of the 177!

Wells

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems the only motive for having an elevator trim rather than a stabilator or stab trim system would be cost except maybe in the case of WWII fighters like the P51 where you expect people to be shooting at you and want simplicity but isn't a stab trim inherently more efficient than a servo tab elevator trim? I know for one thing that if you are trimmed full nose up in a Cessna you have effectively removed the area of the trim tab from the elevator and reduced the total nose up authority available.

Back