SSRI, three visits to a psychiatrist ...

W

WantToFly

OK, I've actually lurked here for a long time and have browsed this forum pretty thoroughly. I'd love to get my pilot's license and, best of all, my wife is very supportive. Briefly, here's my issue(s):

1. SSRI, Zoloft (sertraline). It's on the accepted list.

2. High blood pressure, I take Enalapril and Hydroclorathiazide, both on the accepted list.

I'm otherwise in good health, 66 years old. BUT ... a few years ago, my wife talked me into seeing her psychiatrist. (This is before I knew what a landmine that this could be for an FAA medical; I'd have said "no" in a heartbeat if I'd known.) He "took over" my Zoloft prescription for a few months; it's back with my regular family doctor now. Our sessions basically consisted of me chatting with him and swapping jokes.

But this IS in my medical record: for 2-3 visits, I saw a psychiatrist. Better yet, this psychiatrist has since disappeared and I have no idea what's in his records about me.

I'd be happy with a Sport Pilot license, but no one in my area offers the training. Also, as usual, there are no Sport planes to rent. My wife is now in favor of me getting a 3rd Class medical and a regular PPL, which sounds fine to me. BUT ... I don't know if I'd have to go an expensive route to prove to the FAA that I'm a safe risk for a medical.

What I'm asking the brain trust here is, should I pursue the 3rd Class, knowing that I'll probably be deferred and have to jump through some $$$$ hoops? I wanted opinions. If I have to, I'll just stick with Sport Pilot. I'll have to go to one of those schools out of state for a dedicated week or two of training. Then I'll have to buy a light sport plane.

What say? What would you do in my case?

What would you do in my case?

Sport Pilot.

You’re not trying to go pro. I suspect Sport will satisfy almost everything you will want to do. Plus, at age 66, do you really want to waste a year or more chasing a medical? Especially when some unexpected malady could pop up in that interval and cause more delay?

And trust me, you will want to buy your own plane anyway. Might as well be an LSA.

Don’t screw around, don’t spin the FAA’s medical roulette wheel, don’t stress over a possible denial. Just go get the Sport ticket, buy a plane, and enjoy life.

Get a professional opinion. If you've done your research you know what and who that means. Hint - "sigh"....

You might have to buy the airplane first, then get a local CFI to teach you through the Sport Pilot training. But Sport Pilot is the obvious answer unless you have ambitions that make SP inadequate.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back