Ssri route - advice on approach

• Thread starter Sport to private?
  • Start date
S

Sport to private?

First, I am a happy sport pilot.

I had a major depressive episode 30 years ago (divorce), treated with ssri alone.

had low level depression 15ish years ago briefly ssri treated, then recurrence 8 years ago and on steady ssri dose since with no problems or symptoms. I am now switching to a different ssri to comply with those (potentially) compatible with the faa.

I’ve never been suicidal or hospitalized nor had poly pharmacy, except for trazodone for sleep problems unrelated to depression and gabapentin for a nerve problem now resolved (and off the Med >1 yr). Both were prescribed by my psych, though. So, not straightforward exactly.

my question is if anyone has personal experience or knowledge of services like aopa or leftseat.com in helping to judge this situation for application for SI under the ssri rules? Obviously, don’t want to risk losing the sport pilot, so am looking for recs on a service that can evaluate before I submit to faa.

thanks for any recommendations!

Have an unofficial "consult" with an AME. That is, get an appointment with one, but do NOT submit any FAA paperwork to actually apply for a 3rd class through MedXpress yet.

If the AME's in your area are anything like the ones around here, they (or rather the person who picks up the phone when you call) may ask you to fill out and submit a MedXpress form before you arrive. If this happens, politely explain that you don't want to fill out that form yet, you just want an appointment to talk (consult) with the AME. If they try to tell you that you *must* fill out the MedXpress first, thank them for their time, and hang up and look for another AME.

You can have a look at the MedXpress form online, just to see what questions are on there, but do NOT click on any button that says "Submit" on it. Not until you've gotten some real human guidance from a medical professional (not AOPA etc), who can be *sure* that if you do apply, you'll be able to get through the process.

Good luck!

Thanks all for the advice.

I became a sport pilot when it was just two of us. Now there are 3 - one smaller than the others. So, I can tool around with 2/3 of family and have plenty of fun for sure, or do more useful things with the ability to fill one more seat.

Thanks for the advice on the AME "consult" process and especially what NOT to do.

See you private Emails.....:)

Didn't see anything by email. I've already spoken with my board cert psych and will get the new med started. Then will reach out. Thank you! What a very helpful group of people.

If I may append a question.... I think I may have just answered a question for myself while reading over the FAA guidelines again.

When I first presented, my psychiatrist gave me SSRI plus a short course of gabapentin for some low level anxiety I had with one of the minor depressive episodes. Odd choice I know, but it helped. But then I dropped down on it as the anxiety abated. But after years of aches toward the end of the day in my L foot (reflex sympathetic dystrophy in that foot after a bone break). I told him how much it helps my foot. He said here's a refill. I'm now off of it after exercising my foot a ton (and quitting running!).

I knew treatment with multiple antidepressants wouldn't fly (and I never was). But is starting the SSRI with the gabapentin then considered "Multi-agent drug protocol" - and an automatic "no" with that in my history?

Of note, no anxiety for years (save the occasional public talk). thank you.

i would definitely not do anything official regarding your medical until you know if you have a decent chance at passing. it would be a really good idea to have a chat with Dr. Bruce before starting.

click on the link on my signline, leave me a message....The person with whom I'm corresponding might actually NOT be you.(?).

click on the link on my signline, leave me a message....The person with whom I'm corresponding might actually NOT be you.(?).

Message sent this morning. thanks very much!
(gotcha, I understand - true, we haven't corresponded before)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back