SSRI Question

Toddd

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Toddd
Hi just a little clarification if anyone knows. I have been on Lexapro and Amitriptyline for 8 or 9 years. I know lexapro can be approve if you want to jump through the hoops however, Amitriptyline is not approved. I have gone off both meds and planned on waiting the 60 days and taking the Dr letters with me that i have been off for the 60 days and no side effects. Does that clear me or will it still get defered? The path forms just arent clear to me. Just a last bit of info, the lexapro was for stress and Amitriptyline was for migrains. I havent had a migrane in 7+ years. I just never went off. I have been completely symptom free since i have been off the meds and in fact feel better then i did on them.
Thanks for the help!

The right person to ask this question to is Dr. Bruce Chien, an AME who was one of four authors of the SSRI protocol.

He can fe found through his website, www.aeromedicaldoc.com. He does participate on this forum, but not very active. So better that you reach out via that website than wait for a reply here.

The right person to ask this question to is Dr. Bruce Chien, an AME who was one of four authors of the SSRI protocol.

He can fe found through his website, www.aeromedicaldoc.com. He does participate on this forum, but not very active. So better that you reach out via that website than wait for a reply here.

Thanks!

i defer to the HIMS God - Dr. Bruce ... but yes you will be deferred. Whether you will be a full hoops HIMS or not is TBT.

He is saying vs. denied.

Before you submit any paperwork to the AME for your 3rd class physical, get in contact with Bruce Chien (referenced up thread).

He's a retired internist and now full time difficult case senior AME. HUGE pilot advocate. He knows the ins/outs of the FAA. $150 well spent to avoid a denial (which would eliminate sport pilot as an option).

Talk with Dr. Chien to understand your options and the best path forward.

You guys are making me nervous. Everything I have read makes it sound like it's not a bery big deal. I just need to be off the medication and submit some forms. I'm getting the impression that you guys are saying a medical isn't likely or will be very difficult. I have a message into Dr Bruce so now I hurry up and wait I guess.

You guys are making me nervous. Everything I have read makes it sound like it's not a bery big deal. I just need to be off the medication and submit some forms. I'm getting the impression that you guys are saying a medical isn't likely or will be very difficult. I have a message into Dr Bruce so now I hurry up and wait I guess.
It's more about working with the right AME so that when you do submit your info to the FAA, it's done in such a way that you get it right the first time. Not every AME in the land knows how to do this, thus putting you into jeopardy of being denied (which pretty much ends your flying dreams). But Dr. Bruce knows what they want since he wrote that book. So he won't let anything get sent up until he knows it wil pass.

He will ask a fee to manage your case. But as many here will tell you, it is more than reasonable.

I believe the 60 days off and Dr letters is if you were on Ned's for a short time. You weren't. You were on a long time.

I took lexapro about 5 years ago and put it on my iacra form. It took 9 months, 4 doctor visits with letters saying I am fine and haven't taken the medication in the past 3 years for me to get a SI one year 3rd class.

I am dreading what is going to happen at my renewal and I don't even take the medication. I want to get a 1st class and I am starting my research to see if it is even a possibility, at least I could do Basic Med at the very least.

Lexapro ALONE there's a definite path for. However, the guidance falls apart when you have taken MULTIPLE psychoactive drugs at the same time.

maybe whining is why some take SSRI's. oops ... so sry. Of all the irksome things about the FAA, allowing pilots to fly with psychiatric conditions is a blessing. even a diabetic can now fly taking insulin SQ.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 11.55.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 11.55.43 AM.png
    164.9 KB · Views: 169
Their insane rules are what breeds liars. They don't even care that some of those meds are used to treat non disqualifying issues. The second you take one you are board certified crazy and have to spend thousands of dollars defending yourself the rest of your life. If you don't have a history of mental anything then a letter from your pcp should be enough in my opinion.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back