SSRI Checkride Failures

A

Anonymous

Ive been on an SSRI for 10 years for Anxiety. I have a commercial multi engine instrument. 15 years or so years ago at age 21 and under I failed 5 FAA practical tests. Let’s just say I wasn’t the most mature individual back then.

Private - Oral (Weather knowledge)
Instrument - Flight (ILS Approach Glideslope)
Commercial ME ADD On 2x - Flight (1. Crosswind takeoff, 2. Steep Turn)
CFI - Oral (knowledge, wasn’t prepared enough, didn’t get credit for anything.)

I never did finish the CFI and quit flying ever since. I have a Bachelors and Masters and have had a stable life ever since. No criminal, FAA violations, speeding tickets etc ever.

I want to seek a 3rd Class Medical under the SSRI protocol. I meet all the rule out requirements.

Would the FAA medical side review my less than stellar checkride history when reviewing SSRI application, and deny me on that basis?

I am nervous about being denied, and then losing Sport Pilot privileges.

This is a guess…

In my 11 years of paying attention to how the medical certification happens, I have never heard of CAMI using past check ride performance as a criteria for their decisions.

Nonetheless, Pinging Doctor Lou and Doctor Bruce for their input. @lbfjrmd @bbchien

“Training history” is one of the items for Neuropsychological evaluation listed, hence my reason for concern.

“Training history” is one of the items for Neuropsychological evaluation listed, hence my reason for concern.
I would seek out the best HIMS AME in your local region and do a consult.

I’ve done that multiple times. Both have the “let’s apply and see what happens approach.” They have no idea if Checkride failures are considered.

Both even told me going off SSRIs was an option. But based on reading this forum after this long on, doing so only leads to a swift denial.

Were you depressed during the period when you took your checkride(s)?
and
Were you on unreported meds during the period when you took your checkride

Were you depressed during the period when you took your checkride(s)?
and
Were you on unreported meds during the period when you took your checkride

I can tell today that Anxiety played a big role in my checkride/oral performance issues. I stopped flying after I first completely bombed the CFI oral. I felt so anxious about retaking I never did.

1. So yes technically, but I never sought treatment before I failed the last check ride.
2. No unreported meds.

This is a guess…

In my 11 years of paying attention to how the medical certification happens, I have never heard of CAMI using past check ride performance as a criteria for their decisions.

Nonetheless, Pinging Doctor Lou and Doctor Bruce for their input. @lbfjrmd @bbchien

They might not directly, but the HIMS psychiatrist definitely used my ability to get a commercial and CFI as evidence that my (then undiagnosed and untreated) mental illness was not a safety of flight issue.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back