SSD health question

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
I have been running a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD in my desktop PC with MS Win 7 for well over a year now. Sometimes I think it is booting slower than it originally did. usually with the mechanical drives I started really noticing it after 4-6 months I think.

My question is this. Do SSD's that run the primary OS need to be reformatted and have the OS relaid fresh like mechanical drives often do?

I am sure it won't hurt to do it but I am not sure I need to. Samsung Magician says good health and over 2.13 TB written to disk so far.

Thanks,

David

I had no idea about that. I will check it out.

Thanks Jesse!

David

Let me know how it works out.

Jesse, it did work! Thanks!

The computer is now booting up faster. The reason I can tell is that it would hang up with sometimes a black screen and the Win 7 opening music would be delayed. Now it comes right up. The actual boot speed is subjective but it seems faster and at least what it should be for an SSD again.

The issue I found was that I could not do this performance optimization within windows on that drive. I tried and tried different things revolving around Samsung's instructions. I ended up pulling the SSD and putting into drive 2 of my laptop and the optimization upgraded the firmware and did its thing as the instructions said it would.

So, I am happy again and don't feel like I need to erase and start over. I hate doing that.

It took me around an hour and a half to two hours to do it after I figured out I needed the laptop to do it.

I appreciate the info you gave me,.

David

Back