SR-20/22 & Perspective/Avidyne

OzPilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
OzPilot
Just finished my transition training into the Cirrus SR-20 and 22, covering both the avionics packages which opens up my rental options across many flight lines.

Also received my high performance endorsement, however the SR22 has to be considered as one of the easier HP machines to fly. Two levers (mixture and throttle) vs Throttle, Prop control, Mixture, Cowl Flaps etc and management of the heat and fuel flow in more complex aircraft.

I absolutely loved the avionics packages and the autonomy and awareness it brings to a single pilot and my wife certainly enjoys the air conditioning, xm radio and leather seats. ;)

I'm still 95% sure I will complete my IR ticket on a 172 or similar in terms of 6 pack and airspeed. Anyone think any differently and suggest I do my IR in a Cirrus?

Cheers

Cost will be better learning in the 172. I don't see a downside. If you learn in a 6 pack I think it is better even if what you fly in the end is glass. Just my opinion. I fly an SR22 with R9 but did my IR in a 172. My ex did hers in a 6 pack SR22.

What will you be flying after you get your IR? That's what you should do your IR training in. Laws of Primacy and Exercise, and all that.

What will you be flying after you get your IR? That's what you should do your IR training in. Laws of Primacy and Exercise, and all that.

That is what is up in the air. I have been looking for a plane or share in one for 7 months with a few people. Trying to get that resolved and if it happens, would prefer to do it in that aircraft for a number of reasons like you mentioned.

If my wife wants to go somewhere further, she probably wants to do it in the 22 or 22T. So I figure going longer distances generally introducing the potential for more IMC.

That is what is up in the air. I have been looking for a plane or share in one for 7 months with a few people. Trying to get that resolved and if it happens, would prefer to do it in that aircraft for a number of reasons like you mentioned.
MTSU's research suggests that there's no significant difference in total training time for those trained to IR in glass and then going to steam gauges versus the other way around. If you really don't know which you'll be flying later, I'd suggest the 172, as it will be cheaper overall if you don't go to the Cirrus later.

Back