Springs

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Tell me about it, might get to overnight there.
Isn't there a skating rink? Scenic highway vistas if you venture west? Is Pikes Peak accessible from there? Schmantzy restaurants?

Tell me about it, might get to overnight there.
Isn't there a skating rink? Scenic highway vistas if you venture west? Is Pikes Peak accessible from there? Schmantzy restaurants?
There's a skating rink but not the historic one you are probably imagining at the Broadmoor. That one closed quite a few years ago. There is a skating museum close by, however, if you are interested in that sort of thing. There is a schmantzy restaurant in the Broadmoor, which is schmantzy in general. You can ascend Pikes Peak either by driving on the Pikes Peak Highway or by taking the Cog Railway. I vaguely remember driving to the top once but that was many years ago. I have never taken the Cog Railway but I hear that is the way to go.

Rodeo hall of fame museum, pikes peak, cog railroad, garden of the gods, zoo, royal gorge bridge, air force academy, 7 falls, Will Rogers shrine, just off the top of my head...

Colorado Jet or Cutter? (prices the same. the former says "the fbo that doesn't forget about the crew!")

We used to go to Garden of the Gods and Royal Gorge when we were at Ft. Carson -- way back when the 4th ID was there, '83-'84. We went back a couple of years ago and were saddened by the complete tourist trap Royal Gorge has become. All the places we used to climb and picnic at Garden of the Gods are now strictly off limits... no wandering off the path, keep your hands and feet inside the ride at all times. Still nice to look at, but only from a distance now.

We had a much better time riding out to Salida and taking the full day rafting trip.

Is the Royal Gorge the one near Cañon City? Looks like a drive.
Academy - IIRC the wing only does formation for lunch on Tues & Thurs, the rest of the time it's informal lunch whenever the cadets can fit it into their schedule.

If you're flying, Canon City/Fremont County airport has cars to rent $45/day, no courtesy car. And you get to fly over SuperMax, as a bonus. Wave to Ted as you go over.

A number of options for the Gorge, including the lunch or dinner train. Not cheap even without the food, but the food really is excellent. Or drive to the park and wander. Enjoy walking over the bridge and staring down at the support cables. There's also a small cog rail line in the gorge where you can see how they built the bridge.

Let us know when you're going to be in the area...we may be able to have a POA lunch or dinner.

Colorado Jet or Cutter? (prices the same. the former says "the fbo that doesn't forget about the crew!")

I've always gone to Cutter with my little airplane. The minivan has always been available. Cutter in COS will not forget anyone near as I can tell.

Would it be pointless to get off the Cog RR at 4-4:30, then beeline to the Gorge? Googlemaps says 1.5hrs to get there from the RR. It says SS is 8:20.

I used to live in the Springs, and my folks are still in Woodland Park. As far as getting to the top of PP, either the highway or the cog will do - they take different routes and you'll get different views. We've done both, but it's been so long ago now that I can't remember too many details.

Driving down from the top is fun, stay in a low gear. About halfway down, when the road starts to level out a bit you'll come across a ranger station and the ranger on duty will check your brake temps. If he thinks they're running too hot, he'll tell you to park - right in front of the visitor center and gift shop.

I haven't been to Royal Gorge since they added so much tourist junk. Garden of the Gods is still a city park - just don't clmb where you're not allowed. They get a little tired of sending someone up to help down tourist who climb up, then get too scared to climb back down.

Used to be it was pretty simple to get into the Air Force Academy, but I'm sure that's changed since 9/11.

I had pretty much rejected this restaurant based on fare and ratings, but its inside a KC-97! Not sure I can resist! Anyone been there?

bad link, Dave, but I assume you mean Solos. (as it's about the only KC-97 restaurant around ... a big radius) :)
I was there a few years ago ... not bad food, but of course the novelty is the setting!

We have another thread already going on a possible outing to Solos somewhere here.

As for the rest, wasn't the Royal Gorge railroad owned by a couple who were both members of the Colorado Pilot's association? I thought I saw recently where one of them passed away in the newsletter.

Murph?

We have another thread already going on a possible outing to Solos somewhere here.

As for the rest, wasn't the Royal Gorge railroad owned by a couple who were both members of the Colorado Pilot's association? I thought I saw recently where one of them passed away in the newsletter.

Murph?

As far as I know, the railroad is still owned by the Greska family. Death in any form is not a happy event, with Leah, even more tragic. In her 40s, very athletic & active, small children.

mysterious, Greg - I can click on either.
I will try to exclude the www in future!

That's a long way to drive from PSP.

mysterious, Greg - I can click on either.
I will try to exclude the www in future!

The way today has been going here, it very well could be my own personal IT gremlins! :)

Edit - just tried it again and of course, both links work for me now, too. :D

-rats, I shrunk the pics to 30% but still huge. Sorry.

Well the CoSprings trip was pretty darn fine!
Landed in beautiful weather, with the gorgeous mountains to the west.
Still a bit of snow up there! Colorado Jet took care of us, great fuel prices, a fine interior with many amenities (although I am sure Cutter does a good job too). CJ also managed to salvage the rental car situation. I had one booked at Avis with a reservation number and a clerk's name - but checking it before departure as I have learned to do....poof! Thanks for nothing! And there were NO cars available anywhere!! Heather at CJet managed to have one (Hertz) waiting at the plane for us; good work Heather.
Went straight to the Airplane Restaurant, formerly "Solo's". Definitely a novelty! Enjoyed looking out the wing at a couple of engines/paddles during lunch. Good service. My food only fair, my pal's..good. Still worth going. Fine collection of av. memorabilia on the walls, vfr chart for a table etc, we sat in the derelict cockpit for fun.

Then off to the Cog Railway and up Pike's Peak. They are on a pretty tight schedule, you have to book at least a day in advance and they had full loads. Kind of tight seating, hope you like the knees of the person facing you. About 1:15 to the top through forest and a gushing stream, a decent and fun narrator gives you some answers to the questions you'd likely have. Above the treeline you can finally see some views. Rocky/sandy and bare for the last 1/3, and at the top (14,110) it is cold and breezy, and a definite lack of O2.
Supper at an Irish pub in town, then out the next am.
Planning to go back on my own time and see the Royal Gorge etc. Like to hike at least part of Pike's Peak, have to see how the knees are.

well it won't upload pics to poa so here are some embeds:

Diner inside
34i1lic.jpg

Outside
bg79tg.jpg

Train at the top:
1ryfjq.jpg

The cogs
1gngr6.jpg

End of the line.
2ni0k91.jpg

A lookout place
wgoj77.jpg

Vista
10nf28m.jpg

Last edited:
I've done the cog railway trip. Great pics. Manitou is nice at the base of Pike's to get something to eat and drink. I used Colorado Jet Center a few times when I flew down there, but I often drove as it was only about 45 minutes away.

Though touristy, the Royal Gorge is still fun, and the train ride through the gorge is really nice. I want to do the white water rafting there too sometime.

The Broadmoor is a realy nice, "grand" old hotel and resort complex. I've had three company functions there, so have stayed there a lot, but never played the golf course which is very nice. Went there for a weeked getaway once, and called them to see if they had a kennel for our dog. They said, not but we could just bring him and he could stay in our room! I couldn't believe it. They even provided a dog bed, and goody bag.

Nice report. Glad you liked it.

Last edited:
...Went straight to the Airplane Restaurant, formerly "Solo's". Definitely a novelty! Enjoyed looking out the wing at a couple of engines/paddles during lunch. Good service. My food only fair, my pal's..good. Still worth going. ...

Fish'n chips again? :)

I don't remember what I ate last time there ... probably a burger. Nothing to write home about, but like you said - the view enhances mediocre food.

I always though it was funny to go to the top of Pike's Peak where the temps could be 30 or 40 deg colder than at the bottom, then watch all the tourists with shorts and t-shirts complain about the cold and the wind.

I'd just get a cup of hot chocolate and enjoy the view.

omg; I forgot the donuts!
i was thinking, is it the altitude and my hunger? Or were they really, really awesome?!

Back