Spring is Here!

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Ah yes, the flowers are blooming, the birds are singing, life has returned to the prairie once again. Or has it?

Well for at least one it has not.

One of the great joys of home ownership has for the third time presented itself to me. Early in the week I began to detect it, but it was not until I arrived home from seeing the gang at Rockford last night that I was sure.

Last night there was not a hint of wind and when I went to open the rear gate to the deck and eventually to reach my door I was sure.

Something had died under my deck and was now rotting! :vomit::vomit:

I just pulled up the boards and saw it. A possum crawled into the window well under the deck and passed away. The smell was starting to get into the basement so I had to do something NOW!

I had a raccoon go bad under there a few summers ago and did not get to it because of travel. By the time I did, it's flesh had begun to liquefy and it is was a terrible, nauseating task to remove the carcass.

The possum was stinky but not too bad, a few insects had gathered in it's mouth and were a bit startled when the carcass moved. But I managed to pick him up with two shovels, like a large piece of General Tso's chicken nestled between a set of chopsticks.

I set him in a prepositioned garbage bag, poured bleach into the window well of his former resting place and then closed the bag. Removing it a safe distance form the house. For should it fill with gas and explode it can be an nasal disaster.

Hopefully that will be the last of the dead ones for another couple of years

Last edited:
I am just sitting here now smelling my hands after I washed them 4 times with some Bath and Body works watermelon soap. I can still smell the stinker.

lol Ben. Hey what's your schedule looking like next week? got a guy working on his commercial in the 182RG, may need to do some short trips. lunch someday?

back to rotting possums.

But I managed to pick him up with two shovels, like a large piece of General Tso's chicken nestled between a set of chopsticks.

Isn't 'possum supposed to taste like chicken?:vomit:

Sounds like you need to put latticework wood around your deck.

I am just sitting here now smelling my hands after I washed them 4 times with some Bath and Body works watermelon soap. I can still smell the stinker.
As a former police detective, let me assure you ... it could have been worse. Had a guy throw up into his GAS MASK, once - and he was with the medical examiners body removal people. :eek: :vomit:

See, now, this is why you need dogs! That thing wouldn't have lasted a day at our house!! :D

When you do that, just be careful to not bust it open - it can be a real flavor sac as some friends in Cincy learned.

No dead critters but I've been killing my share of ants. I HATE farm ants. Today alone, I've taken :target: out four hills. :redface:

I set him in a prepositioned garbage bag, poured bleach into the window well of his former resting place and then closed the bag.
Any particular reason for that order of things? I would have closed the bag fast!
Removing it a safe distance form the house. For should it fill with gas and explode it can be an nasal disaster.
Too late. Looks like the aroma already got to you!

-Skip:yes: :D

Back