Sporty's SP-200 Nav/Com Hand-Held Transceiver

vistanz

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Aaron S
Have you ever had a communications emergency while flying? I learned early on in my aviation that redundancy is important. Which is why I bought this sturdy hand-held, Sporty's brand NAV/COM transceiver. I initiallly thought that I'd only ever use in case of an emergency with my onboard avionics, but quickly learned that I would use it all the time, to check the numbers before ever getting in my plane, to hear how traffic was prior to my departure, and when just sitting back at home, it was nice to be able to turn it on to monitor radio traffic of the all the planes nearby.

I'm offering this great NAV/COM transceiver, priced right now at Sportys.com at $299, for only $229. If you can't go quite that high, then give me the best you've got. Buyer pays shipping costs.

If you don't know all of that great safety and convenience features that something like this has to offer, then read on (from Sporty's website):

Sporty’s experience operating a fleet of 18 airplanes enabled our pilots to engineer the SP-200 hand-held NAV/COM with unique features and pilot-friendly design. It is still the only hand-held radio to put communication, VOR navigation and localizer display in the palm of your hand. Now includes a handy “Last Frequency” button and 8.33 KHz frequency spacing (already in effect in Europe). Includes five year warranty, flexible antenna, removable wrist strap, alkaline battery case and instruction manual.
Our SP-200 makes a terrific backup radio. Here’s why:
  • VOR and Localizer with CDI display—You won’t find this patented feature on any other hand-held, but it can be a real lifesaver. In the event of a total electrical failure, the SP-200’s localizer function can get you on the ground in the worst weather. The Aviation Consumer said, “Sporty's was the best of the group in VOR performance...in a pinch you could actually navigate with it.”
  • Extremely durable construction—The SP-200 isn’t the smallest or slimmest hand-held radio, but that’s because it is built to last. The tough case will survive being tossed around inside a flight bag, and even dropped on the ramp. We are so confident that we back it with a 5 year warranty.
  • Dependable alkaline battery case—For use as a backup, alkaline batteries are unbeatable for reliability. Unlike rechargeable batteries that are often discharged when you need to use the radio, you can reach for the SP-200 with confidence.
  • Easiest to use—An emergency is no time to reach for an instruction manual, and the SP-200 doesn’t require one. It was designed for easy, one-handed operation, so you can use every feature while you fly with the other hand. The size and weight of the radio feels solid in your hand, and the backlit display and keypad is easily viewed in dark conditions.
  • Long battery life—With eight alkaline batteries, the SP-200 will provide hours of service when you need it. The Aviation Consumer found that it had “a decided edge in transmit time endurance” over other radios. Plus, you can quick-change to a spare battery pack in just 3 seconds.
  • “An Excellent Value”— That’s what The Aviation Consumer had to say in its latest hand-held review. That’s because all of these features are available for under $300. Dollar for dollar, feature for feature, it’s still the best hand-held transceiver available.
Other features:
  • "Last Frequency" button
  • 8.33 kHz spacing
  • Five-year warranty
  • LOCALIZER with CDI Display
  • VOR with CDI Display
  • OBS & TO/FROM indicator
  • Automatic “Bearing-to-Station” feature
  • 2,280 COM & 200 NAV channels
  • 20 memory channels
  • Full-feature scanner (scan the entire frequency range or memory channels)
  • Duplex COM feature (transmit to FSS & listen over VOR)
  • Back-lit screen & keypad
  • Polarized screen reduces glare and LCD washout
  • Lightweight and compact, fits easily in a flight bag
  • Used by the U.S. Navy and U.S. Air Force
  • Low battery indicator
  • "Quick-change” battery case
  • Superior audio quality
  • Electret microphone
  • Automatic gain control
  • Automatic noise limiter
  • Single-hand squelch control
  • External power jack
  • Earphone & microphone jacks
  • Key lock prevents inadvertent frequency changes
  • Flexible antenna with standard aviation compatible BNC connector
  • Power — 5 watts PEP output (the max allowed by law)
  • Weight — 16.9 oz.
  • Size — 7 3/16”h x 2 3/8”w x 1 7/16”d
  • Frequency range:
    NAV — 108.000-117.950 MHz
    COM — 118.000-136.975 MHz

Yes. It worked well in a Cessna 150, poorly in a BE-35, and not at all without a whip antenna in a Chief.

With the whip it's as good as a panel mount.

I've never had a problem using this hand-held in any of the aircraft that I've flown. Especially with the included headset adapter that plugs right into the radio. Have always had sufficient reception to communicate when needed.

I've never had a problem using this hand-held in any of the aircraft that I've flown. Especially with the included headset adapter that plugs right into the radio. Have always had sufficient reception to communicate when needed.

Sorry, but that's simply has not been my experience.

Of course I'm not trying to sell mine... :rolleyes2:

This handheld transceiver is still for sale. All of you student pilots about to start back up in school this coming month should consider investing in this!

Back