Sporty's may be hazardous to your wallet!

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Yikes...

So I just happened to be in Cincinnati with a few hours to burn, so I went out to Sporty's Pilot Shop with my current trainee Dennis, who's also a student pilot. Sweet!

I'd been planning on flying to Sporty's for a while (maybe long IFR cross country?) but I had to settle for getting there on the ground (and getting paid for it rather than the other way around). However, my mild disappointment with not flying in was quickly extinguished when we ran into Hal Shevers out in the parking lot. We chatted with him for a bit (really nice guy) and then got our picture taken with him! :) (see below)

Well, I had my trusty AOPA credit card with me. Now there's a dangerous combination! I had a few little things I wanted to get from Sporty's anyway, like the IFR Flight File, quick-release plate protectors, flip binder, etc.

I'd been thinking about a Lightspeed headset for a while, mainly because with the cell interface I'll be able to use it in my truck as a hands-free. Well, that is, after I get a new cell... They let me try on both the Lightspeed 20XLc and Twenty-3G. I also got to play with a Garmin iQue 3600a, Garmin 296, and AvMap all side by side.

Well, I went a bit crazy. I bought the Lightspeed Twenty 3G, the Sporty's handheld nav/com, all of the above "little" stuff, an Autel QuickClamp system, the entire Air Facts series on DVD, a Gleim IR audio review, and then decided I'd better pick up that Flight Gear Deluxe bag to hold it all. New toys, woohoo! :-D

I've been playing with my new toys in my truck. The Lightspeed headset is great, I think I'm gonna get more time with it on the ground than in the air! I've been using the scanning features of the Sporty's nav/com while going down the road.

Tonight I got my first shot at using all this stuff in the plane. Dennis and I took the 182 up to OSH for dinner (went to the Charcoal Pit). The nav/com got us the ATIS prior to engine start, and the Lightspeeds kept things nice and quiet.

In fact, ANR has to be tried in the plane to be believed. I'd tried a few ANR's on before and they took a lot of noise away, but I hadn't had a chance to try them in a noisy environment. On tonight's flight I got my first chance, and the results were amazing - After landing and shutdown, I turned the ANR off and the noise of the fans and gyros spinning down was louder than the noise of the engine with the headset on! Plus, the Lightspeed is vastly more comfortable than my old Pilot Avionics passive set. :yes:

All in all, my AOPA credit card saved me $58 and change. (Do I get another 5% from MBNA?) I didn't really MEAN to spend that much, but I'm still very happy with all my new gadgets and educational materials. :dance:

Kent Shook
PP-ASEL, KMSN

Sporty's is awesome!!! We visited prior to moving to Pennsylvania. Had a fantastic time. No doubt other will chime in complaining about their prices, but I've always felt I was getting my money's worth.

And you are dead on about ANR. I love my David Clark's with the Headsets Inc conversion Chris Schroeder gave me. I turn the ANR off for the runup, but in flight they can't be beat. I spent years saying that good passives are just fine. I was wrong.

Gotta admit, I love Sporty's! While I don't buy everthing from them (I usally price shop on the larger ticket items) it's great to call or go online, and have the items shipped the same day! Being in the Detroit area, it's not uncommon for my order to show up the day (or 2) after I place it. Plus those free onliune FAA practice exams were an awsome help while preparing for the written (planning to start doing them for IFR in a few months).

I love shoppng sporty's. As to the MBNA credit card, you don't ask, you don't get! Besides, if you fly enough, you'll get your MAX back by May.
I bought an Icom A3 from them, Just after I bought it, the local FBO said they'd match price for anything Sporty's sold. All of a sudden, I as charging up a storm there. I'd certainly rather keep the local place happy.
Sorry Sporty's. It just means I don't spend as much.

Jist a quick sidenote: Watch your state laws about wearing full headsets while driving. I know in Florida it is illegal. I did have a *friend* use the 30 3gs as a hands free device when the exahust broke on my truck and it worked very well. Just watch for the blue and red lights.

Rob

Kent: As I recall from my last purchase at sportys you do get the extra 5% back from MBNA

T Bone said:
Gotta admit, I love Sporty's! While I don't buy everthing from them (I usally price shop on the larger ticket items) it's great to call or go online, and have the items shipped the same day! Being in the Detroit area, it's not uncommon for my order to show up the day (or 2) after I place it. Plus those free onliune FAA practice exams were an awsome help while preparing for the written (planning to start doing them for IFR in a few months).

I used the practice tests extensively for my IR. They were really helpful.

Jim G

Back