Sportstar -takeoff and landing distances hi density altitude

eetrojan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
eetrojan
As best as I can tell, the POH for the Evektor Sportstar only gives takeoff and landing distances for a sea level field ("0 ft ISA"). See sections 5.2.3 and 5.2.4 of the following POH:

http://www.aerodynamicaviation.com/documents/Evektor Sportstar Max POH.pdf

I'm a student and I'm planning a flight from a low level airport (John Wayne SNA) to a mountain airport (Big Bear L35) and need to determine the takeoff run and landing distances for a density altitude of 8,000 ft.

How do I find or calculate distances for a DA of 8,000? I see percentage adjustments for tail wind and runway inclination, but nothing for altitude.

Thanks!

Last edited:
The LSA rules allow certification sans performance data? I didn't even suspect that.

Seems like an "evil" instructor to give a student an impossible task, and a resourceful student to call him on it.

Jay, PA-28 only had data out to 8000 ft, and a warning that distance graphs are not to be extrapolated, yet people fly them into Leadville. It's nothing new and LSAs are not different from certificated airplanes in this regard.

Also, remember that the higest airport in whole of Europe, in Swiss Alps, is only at 6800 ft. The second highest is already at 5600 ft. The LSA manufacturers cannot even get the performance data for Taos, NM without flying outside of their native continent.

>>Use a Koch chart cautiously...

On that note, I have a question re Koch Charts -

Is it one size fits all, i.e. "close enough" for most aircraft, or is each chart adjusted to give answers that are appropriate to a particular aircraft?

I ask because I compared the answers from a couple of Koch Charts on Google, and unless I'm doing something wrong, they give very different answers when reading the line between the same PA and TEMP points.

I get the sense that using a random Koch Chart is like looking at a Beechcraft POH to estimate the altitude performance of my SportStar, i.e. useful to get the gist of the problem, but very inaccurate.

Anybody know for sure?

Never mind. Connecting 100 deg. F and 6,000 ft, the chart linked above says "add this percentage to you normal take-off distance" (240%)' and the other chart says "take-off distance factor from sea level" (3.4).

Same thing stated differently. Doh.

Back