Sports Pilot-rental aircraft

Tboy

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Tim R
If I decided to do the Sports Pilot route,(I can't do the PPL) will there be any companies that will rent aircraft to me with a sports pilot license(Yes I understand it would need to be an LSA)?

sure, if they have them—more do all the time. You’ll be expected to take out their renters ins policy. If the revised MOSAIC rules pass, your options of certified aircraft will likely expand as well. But that will be another 2 yrs or more.

I rented LSAs after getting my Sport ticket. You may have difficulty finding a place that has one, depending on where you are. I rented regularly in Apopka, FL, and I know @SkyChaser has rented one in Jacksonville.

Call some places near you and ask.

I've rented in AZ but had to do a check-ride with a CFI the first time. That's not unusual.

sure, if they have them—more do all the time. You’ll be expected to take out their renters ins policy. If the revised MOSAIC rules pass, your options of certified aircraft will likely expand as well. But that will be another 2 yrs or more.
I think the MOSAIC proposal will go into effect by the beginning of 2025 but it will likely be the insurance companies lagging behind to give a sports pilot coverage in a 172

Yeah, my flight school has a couple of LSAs that can be rented out. They tend to have pretty good availability, and a less hourly cost than the Cessnas/Pipers.

You are going likely put more hours on your land vehicle to drive to an LSA rental than flying one.

I think the MOSAIC proposal will go into effect by the beginning of 2025 but it will likely be the insurance companies lagging behind to give a sports pilot coverage in a 172
The policy I got through AOPA just specifies a medical certificate "if required."

I have been a supporter of the sport pilot program,a major issue was finding one to rent. The light sport airplanes are becoming more available. There are several for rent in Florida.

Back