SportCopter 2 Gyroplane

There is a guy at Quakertown KUKT airport that has an autogyro. Open cockpit, and really neat to watch. He brings his in so slow, and smooth, much better than the guy in this video. Still cool though, definitely looks like fun.

There's someone at Brandywine (near Philadelphia, PA) with a Benson autogiro. I used to watch him (her?) during boring meetings at VWR. We almost always got a meeting room with a good view of base and final.

While keeping with the substance of this thread I would note the following:

Steve Waterman was a couple years behind me in high school(Rockland, Maine).
The main part of this Link http://mainegyroplanes.com/ is pertinent to this thread.

You may also find interest in the other parts of his website; however, my post is not intended to sneak one past the Classifieds section. Of particular interest is his highly-acclaimed book, Just a Sailor, for which there should be a revision coming out in the near future. For those of you who fly, dive, and/or photograph, Steve is a unique individual. But watch his Youtube.

HR

That video is at Scappoose, Oregon, just across the river from here, where the Sport Copter is being built.

P1030619.JPG

When I see that I'm reminded of the old McCulloch J-2 Gyroplane: 180 hp, 95 mph, two people + one toothbrush, 150-mile range, and a competent pilot in a Cessna 150 could beat its takeoff performance over a 50-foot obstacle.

19710504.jpg

I just hope this new Sport Copter handles better on the ground than did the J-2 ... (that's me on the left, May 1971):

19710505.jpg

While keeping with the substance of this thread I would note the following:

Steve Waterman was a couple years behind me in high school(Rockland, Maine).
The main part of this Link http://mainegyroplanes.com/ is pertinent to this thread.

You may also find interest in the other parts of his website; however, my post is not intended to sneak one past the Classifieds section. Of particular interest is his highly-acclaimed book, Just a Sailor, for which there should be a revision coming out in the near future. For those of you who fly, dive, and/or photograph, Steve is a unique individual. But watch his Youtube.

HR

I was gonna say, there's someone in Rockland that flies a Gyrocopter that's almost identical but in yellow. I swear, you must know just about everyone in central and eastern Maine, Harley!

I was gonna say, there's someone in Rockland that flies a Gyrocopter that's almost identical but in yellow. I swear, you must know just about everyone in central and eastern Maine, Harley!

Matthew: Those PoA who have been "around" long enough to have been on the Red Board in "the old days" will remember that CarolT -- I miss her presence of this medium -- once spread the rumor that "Jerry knows everybody," or words to that effect.

I was once awakened on a Sunday morning. Carol was standing in the huge line awaiting entrance at Sun n Fun. It seems the usual chit-chat -- "Where are you from?" was occurring. One older gentleman asked Carol, who said she was from Xxxxxxxxx, South Carolina; "and where are you from?"

When the man said he was from Maine, a little airport in Bowdoinham, Carol allowed that she had a friend, Jerry Crute, who flies out of there. "Do you know him?"

"Know him? I watched him take his first flight."

Some time later Carol was at Greenville-Spartanburg Airport, hangar-flying on a bad WX day. Some guy was interviewing for a job and Carol overheard him say that he had been stationed in Brunswick, Maine, previously(obviously Navy).
After the interview she approached the fellow and, having overheard that he had been in Brunswick, Maine, told him that she had a friend who owns a camera store there.

"Bowdoin Camera Exchange? Yeah, I've been there; I know Jerry."
The above only tended to continue the unfounded ruse that "Jerry knows everybody."

Incidentally, the day Teller and I met at Owls Head Transportation Museum Steve Waterman was displaying his gyroplane. He and I hadn't crossed paths for years, except for occasional e-mails.

HR

that reminded me, i was sitting in podunk municipal earlier this week reading a copy of sport aviation and there was a really interesting article about a guy who built a gyrocopter with a tractor design instead of pusher, and was pursuing several world records in it. i think he had climbed it to over 24,000 feet! pretty interesting stuff.

Back