Spinning a hang glider

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Dumb question time:

Can one spin a hang glider? I assume one can stall, so what happens if you yaw it when it stalls? I bet it would be scary if its possible.

Those guys usually fly so low I can't imagine anyone doing more than an incipient spin (ie a wing drop). But I know zip about them.
(Probably the wings just fold up!)

I've seen video of them doing loops and other such stuff in competetion.

Spins though? :eek: Sounds dangerous, you go first. :yes:

NickDBrennan said:
Dumb question time:

Can one spin a hang glider? I assume one can stall, so what happens if you yaw it when it stalls? I bet it would be scary if its possible.

Some are stressed for spins and acro but most are not.

There's a local guy here who has quite a bit of experience intentionally spinning his hang gliders. I've had opportunity to watch him in action...I'll just say it's too rich for my blood. Basically, you have to keep in mind which way to pivot your body in a rapidly changing 3-D envrionment.

He has 2 thrashed hang gliders in his shop, one is rebuildable. His latest accident was because several rigging wires snapped as he recovered from the spin. A broken shoulder, compund breaks in his collar bone, and a dislocated knee have not quite kept him grounded. He says as soon as he is finished rebuilding he'll be up.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Some are stressed for spins and acro but most are not.

I doubt that you could spin a delta wing (regallo) as they are inherently stable in roll/yaw. Also many weight shift hang gliders have no way to generate asymmetrical drag or lift so I can't quite see how you would get one to spin either but that doesn't mean it's not possible. With nothing but weight shift, recovery might be tough if you did. If you're talking something more sophisticated with some kind of rudder and/or wing shape control then it seems more plausible.

Here's a web page about spinning and recovering in such a craft:

http://www.fai.org/hang_gliding/safety/rigidwing_spin.asp

judypilot said:
Rebuilding himself or the hang-glider? :D

Judy
I had a long talk with this guy. He has always wanted to fly, never took any flight lessons but did get the 'certification' required for operating out of a privately owned popular hang gliding mtn. (The cert is from a nationally-recognized HG org) When I asked him, as example, how he determined CG he gave me the quizzical stare and shoulder shrug.

His most current mishap--when the wires snapped--was in an acro model and he currently has suit against that mfg. My opinion is he labors under the notion that he's competent. His opinion is if weren't for faulty design he would be still flying. When I mentioned his accident previous to that he smiled and said now he knows better...but plans to continue aerobatics.

Another guy I knew was active in the local EAA. His 1st flight test he lost power after rotation because of fuel delivery problem. Broke both ankles. After completion of repairs to skin and tin, he made his 2nd flight test. He had forgot to reconnect pitch controls and stalled into a post crash fire. He died.

What those two have in common is the determination of the pilot/builder to kill himself, however unintentional.

Richard said:
I had a long talk with this guy. He has always wanted to fly, never took any flight lessons but did get the 'certification' required for operating out of a privately owned popular hang gliding mtn. (The cert is from a nationally-recognized HG org) When I asked him, as example, how he determined CG he gave me the quizzical stare and shoulder shrug.

His most current mishap--when the wires snapped--was in an acro model and he currently has suit against that mfg. My opinion is he labors under the notion that he's competent. His opinion is if weren't for faulty design he would be still flying. When I mentioned his accident previous to that he smiled and said now he knows better...but plans to continue aerobatics.

Another guy I knew was active in the local EAA. His 1st flight test he lost power after rotation because of fuel delivery problem. Broke both ankles. After completion of repairs to skin and tin, he made his 2nd flight test. He had forgot to reconnect pitch controls and stalled into a post crash fire. He died.

What those two have in common is the determination of the pilot/builder to kill himself, however unintentional.

We pilots don't need those two. They won't be missed.

I'm sure it's possible, but given that hang gliders have no certification requirements for either design or production, it's not anything I'd ever do intentionally.

Steve said:
mentioned he was "going to add a little something special" to the flight demo at the airshow

whywhywhywhywhy???
"icon for beating head on wall while sobbing in frustration"

NickDBrennan said:
Dumb question time:

Can you? Most definitely. Should you? Nope. I've seen it done 3 times, once was fatal after the wing folded. I've looked at several hang gliders and always was left with the same impression... "Fragile, handle with care." These things made my old Eipper Quicksilver look like a tank.

Back