Spin Training in St. Louis

dillardrg

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ron Dillard
Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum and would like to introduce myself. My name is Ron Dillard, I am a retired corporate pilot (flew Falcons since 1984) and went back to my roots on retirement.
I offer Tailwheel Checkouts and Spin Training from 1H0 near St. Louis. You can check out my web site at: http://www.advancedtailwheeltraining.com.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum and would like to introduce myself. My name is Ron Dillard, I am a retired corporate pilot (flew Falcons since 1984) and went back to my roots on retirement.
I offer Tailwheel Checkouts and Spin Training from 1H0 near St. Louis. You can check out my web site at: http://www.advancedtailwheeltraining.com.

Thanks,

Welcome to the board!!

Nice site!

Though this may cause some discussion:

LANDING
The normal landing in a Taildragger is a Full Stall or Three Point landing. These terms are nearly interchangeable and are descriptive of the attitude of the airplane as it touches the runway. It is fully stalled and both main tires and the tailwheel touch at the same time (sometimes the tailwheel touches first).

:skeptical:

Last edited:
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for reading my site. I don't follow your comment. Can you be more specific?

Thanks,

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for reading my site. I don't follow your comment. Can you be more specific?

Thanks,

We had a long discussion on "full stall" vs "3 point" a few weeks back (http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33880&highlight=full+stall)

My issue was that few tailwheels will actually stall in the 3 point position, and that the term causes unnecessary confusion.

(When I did my tailwheel transition in the Chief I was waiting for the wing to stall -- never did...but we rolled on quite nicely at 36 MPH or so in the 3 point position)

Dan,

I did not see that particular thread, but have seen and participated in many 3 pt vs wheel landing discussions and find them to be at best inconclusive :mad2:.
The paper you quote is a handout for my tailwheel transition clients, pilots with little or no tailwheel experience, and as such is meant to be an overview of what to expect from tailwheel flying in general and the 7ECA. We get into the minutiae during training. That particular passage you quoted, as you will notice, has a lot of qualifiers. It is meant to introduce the terms as well as describe them.
Your point about not all airplanes stalling in a 3 pt attitude is the reason for the comment about the tailwheel touching first may happen. It has been my experience that most tailwheel airplanes with the proper speed control on final and the "hold it off until it quits flying" landing technique will settle onto the runway on all three or with the tailwheel slightly first.

I don't see that we have any disagreement as relates to this discussion.

Nice website you have also.

Dan,

I did not see that particular thread, but have seen and participated in many 3 pt vs wheel landing discussions and find them to be at best inconclusive :mad2:.
3pt vs wheel landing preference is rather airplane specific (you won't see many 3 pt landings in a DC-3) as well as subject to pilot familiarity and preferences. IMO a pilot should be comfortable with either in airplanes that are neutral on this (e.g. most ASEL two place models).

It has been my experience that most tailwheel airplanes with the proper speed control on final and the "hold it off until it quits flying" landing technique will settle onto the runway on all three or with the tailwheel slightly first.
Hard to argue with that as long as by "it quits flying" you really mean "becomes unable to generate enough lift to support the airplane in the 3pt atitude". The source of the concern over associating the landing description "full stall" with "3 pt" comes from the fact that many if not most conventional gear airplanes stalling AoA is significantly higher than their attitude at rest. But that's rather moot if you simply hold the 3pt attitude as the plane slows until it touches. If the tail touches slightly ahead of the mains, it simply means your attitude was slightly nose high which is preferred over being slightly nose low.

Gismo,

I still don't see where we have any disagreement.

Gismo,

I still don't see where we have any disagreement.

At times it may seem that there is no nit that is too small to pick... :mad2:

Nice to see more tailwheel / spin training going on. I think many pilots would benefit from it.

Welcome.

Dan,

The paper you quote is a handout for my tailwheel transition clients, pilots with little or no tailwheel experience, and as such is meant to be an overview of what to expect from tailwheel flying in general and the 7ECA. We get into the minutiae during training. That particular passage you quoted, as you will notice, has a lot of qualifiers. It is meant to introduce the terms as well as describe them.
Your point about not all airplanes stalling in a 3 pt attitude is the reason for the comment about the tailwheel touching first may happen. It has been my experience that most tailwheel airplanes with the proper speed control on final and the "hold it off until it quits flying" landing technique will settle onto the runway on all three or with the tailwheel slightly first.

I don't see that we have any disagreement as relates to this discussion.

Nice website you have also.

I agree -- no disagreement, just an observation that the term "Full stall landing" probably added about half a dozen more circuits than necessary for my tailwheel transition to happen, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who got tripped up by the not-necessarily synonomous terms.

Once I realized that a "3 point landing" was actually "rolling along the ground in taxi attitude" I dropped the "stall" reference and it all came together.

:yesnod:

Ron welcome to POA! I like your site. FWIW the fact that you put a lot of "educational" information on the site gives it more credibilty to a PPL IA SEL pilot w/o a tail wheel endorsment Like me!!

Thanks for the kind words Adam,

I tried to put as much info on the site as possible. Even though doing it is the only way to learn it, I find knowing before hand what to expect expedites the learning.

Welcome Ron, perhaps we can continue that discussion we were having on that other forum before we were interrupted.

Hi Dave, it took a moment for the penny to drop. Hope things are going well for you in the land of Oz.
It really wasn't that interesting Diana, Dave and I were just comparing some things in common.

Back