Special issuance

U

Unregistered

Hi, I am currently earning my LSA which I know doesn't require a medical but I would eventually like to move on to PPL. Problem it I have ADD and am still on medication. What are the chances of me getting a special issuance? Thanks.

Hi, I am currently earning my LSA which I know doesn't require a medical but I would eventually like to move on to PPL. Problem it I have ADD and am still on medication. What are the chances of me getting a special issuance? Thanks.

You may be earning your LSA by earning money to buy one, but you are earning your SP rating. LSA is an aircraft classification.

There's not a chance in the world that you'll get a Third Class as a medicated ADD. Even if you were off meds, it would be a very difficult slog to certification.

One of the doctors will have to answer your question.to check on a specific medication you can go to the AOPA page.

In addition to what has been said, since ADHD requiring medication is a disqualifying condition, in order to fly as a Sport Pilot on the basis of your drivers license, you must consult your personal physician to confirm medically that you can safely fly as a Sport Pilot.

Har Har Har... you honestly took the time to post that??

This hobby/trade is detail oriented. Its best to take the time to pay attention to detail. Take that as the constructive criticism it was probably intended. Nit picking may seem pedantic at times, but that attention to detail can be critical at times.

As another poster has said, medicated ADD is a non-starter. Unmedicated ADD is a nonstarter. The problem isn't the med. Its the ADD. It is not certifiable by the aeromedical division.

The only hope of EVER getting a medical is to get off meds, then undergo an expensive battery of testing to prove you never really HAD ADD in the first place. ADD is not something you outgrow. You either have it or not.

All of this is stuff that has been discussed in dozens of threads here in the past few years, at length. Feel free to search those threads and see what you are facing if you want to get a third class medical and pursue additional certification in aviation.

You take ADD pills?!

First off how old are you?

Second off STOP TAKING THAT CRAP

Had a friend that had some absent type parents that put him on that garbage, when he came to our place we never fed the pills to him, shortly after his folks grew the F' up and stopped pushing pills to their kid, he got into sports, grew up and is now a pro pilot.

It shows why you will not be allowed a medical, you can't, or won't bother to, get things correct.

Oops, that was my post, and you were nit picking the OP who is just a student pilot.

BTW, 1st class w/ a ATP

Oops, that was my post, and you were nit picking the OP who is just a student pilot.

BTW, 1st class w/ a ATP

Why were you posting unregistered? It just confuses things.Yes, it was nit picking, aviation has a million nits to pick and attention to detail is what it's all about. How will he pass an evaluation that determines his diagnosis was incorrect when he can't keep an airman classification sorted from a pilot classification?

The FAA uses the word "should", not "must" in its guidance on this issue:

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/sportpilots/response4/
That's true, but the "or has reason to know" in the underlying regulation (61.53(b)) allows little option other than obtaining competent medical advice once you know you have this condition and that it is disqualifying. The FAS guidance you quote does not require you to do that but it does provide you an approved means to get past that phrase in the regulation. Sure, there may be some other way to be able to say you had good reason to believe you were in medical shape to fly as a Sport Pilot despite that condition, but if you fail to get that advice, you have no defense at all against the FAA's experts in any enforcement action they might choose to take against you.

To the OP, you have a grounding condition and a record of it so you can't squiggle out of that. Even the prescription records are public (Affordable healthcare act of 2010).

The ONLY way to get a third class is to successfully contest the diagnosis at the highest level of expertise. Think 90 days off pills and $2,500 of uninsureable medical evaluations- HIMS certified neuropsychologist Ph.D. There are about 20 in the country.

No results are guaranteed. You may really have the disorder, and if that is the case, LSA is as far as you can go.

Last edited:
And for the record, OP.

If, because of your ADD, you cannot become a safe pilot, for God sake's find another hobby. Don't fsk it up for all the other sport pilots by killing yourself and others.

Why were you posting unregistered? It just confuses things.Yes, it was nit picking, aviation has a million nits to pick and attention to detail is what it's all about. How will he pass an evaluation that determines his diagnosis was incorrect when he can't keep an airman classification sorted from a pilot classification?

I just hit reply, just a oops on my part.

As for the nit picking, I know how it goes as do you, but let's jus keep in mind the OP is a student so let's not be too much of a d1ck to him eh?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back