Special Issuance--How Long Will I Have It?

U

Unregistered

Hi guys...I recently received my special issuance after about 1.5 years of proving to FAA that I am not a medical liability! Past DUI, high BAC, resulted in a HIMS psych eval which recommended all the hoops of a HIMS AME, frequent random alcohol tests, therapy, AA, etc...which was fine and worth it...and now I have my special issuance and am wondering (of course I know it's different for every case) how long I can expect to keep up all the hard work.

FAA has asked me to continue the random screens, meet quarterly with my HIMS AME, continue in therapy, AA etc...and then after a year, provide all the info of compliance and get my medical renewed (provided I am compliant).

Anyone out there in the same boat have any guidance?

Thanks!

You'll have it as long as you do what the FAA asks. However, as time goes by, what they ask may change. Your best answer on this would come from an expert in this area such as Dr. Bruce Chien, whom you can find at his web site or on the AOPA Forums.

Thanks Ron...I'm wondering how long before I go back to just simply having a 3rd class medical...aka, getting rid of the special issuance. I've heard anything from 2 years, to 5 years to never!

Didn't want to bother Dr. Bruce.

Thanks Ron...I'm wondering how long before I go back to just simply having a 3rd class medical...aka, getting rid of the special issuance. I've heard anything from 2 years, to 5 years to never!

If you want a reliable answer, you'll have to ask Bruce.

Your letter should have the duration written right on it...

Does it?
That only tells you when that particular special issuance authorization expires. It does not tell you that you'll be eligible for standard issuance after that date.

That only tells you when that particular special issuance authorization expires. It does not tell you that you'll be eligible for standard issuance after that date.
This. The doctors in OKC who review your case will decide when you can go back to a normal medical.

Right. All this I know, and thanks for responding! But was wondering if others had actual experience. Looking for:

"Well, I did everything they asked, never screwed up once, and I went back to a regular medical after 5 years of FAA following me..."

Thanks again...

Ask the FAA? :dunno:

Congrats on your sobriety and the guts to do what ever it took to fly. Says a lot about your character and love for flying!

Right. All this I know, and thanks for responding! But was wondering if others had actual experience. Looking for:

"Well, I did everything they asked, never screwed up once, and I went back to a regular medical after 5 years of FAA following me..."

Thanks again...
All that seems to depend on the SI and how FAA is satisfied that whatever caused the need for the SI has stabilized. I'm not sure there is a fixed answer in all cases.

All that seems to depend on the SI and how FAA is satisfied that whatever caused the need for the SI has stabilized. I'm not sure there is a fixed answer in all cases.
I'm completely sure there isn't. It's all situations, but Bruce is probably the only person I know who can give you a reasonably reliable prognosis (as long as you give him all the facts and background).

I'd ask the regional Flight Surgeon's office. They have the file and you have the cert. There's no threat in asking about what the future holds and how you can help yourself to get away from special issuance.

My Regional FS issues my SI certificates. The office staff is great to work with. Ditto for my experience the the Northwest Mountain region when my local folks were out of office.

Last edited:
First log in in 13 months. Though I'd leave what I can- but I see that all the same problems are still here at good ol' POA. User #5 signing off again.

OP, 2 years of monitored issuance, minimum, sometimes 3 (upper class certs, mostly).

First log in in 13 months. Though I'd leave what I can- but I see that all the same problems are still here at good ol' POA. User #5 signing off again.

OP, 2 years of monitored issuance, minimum, sometimes 3 (upper class certs, mostly).

I think it's safe to say that most of us appreciate your efforts, wherever you choose to post.

Did I miss something? :dunno:

Your expertise is highly valued by the vast majority here, Doc. I didn't see any of the problem children post in this thread. Hope you'll opt to stick around.

You will not bother Dr Bruce.

What does bother Dr Bruce are people giving answers when they are not qualified and/or do not know the latest FAA rules and/or holding themselves out to be experts.

You will not bother Dr Bruce.

What does bother Dr Bruce are people giving answers when they are not qualified and/or do not know the latest FAA rules and/or holding themselves out to be experts.

...or attacking his integrity.

That was useful, actionable, information.

That not so much. Hit and run.

Not sure what he expects that any of us who like him as a person, and would like to see him around more, are supposed to do about said "problems" that aren't even defined.

But stuff like the above hit and run is damn near useless. And mostly just frustrating to anyone reading it, who'd gladly help.

Ou well. We all know his phone number.

I don't even care if he answers medical questions here. I liked his posts about flying his twin. Business and pleasure needn't necessarily mix.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back