Spearing a 182 on a radio tower

Jay:

The mere act of reading what you have written here makes my knees jelly.

Funny how I am mortified of heights, and am completely unaffected in the airplane.

I'm not unaffected in the plane. If I look down from 5000 feet AGL or more I can get an extra heartbeat.

I'm not unaffected in the plane. If I look down from 5000 feet AGL or more I can get an extra heartbeat.
That's easy to fix: quit flying high-wing aircraft. Makes it harder to look straight down, and looking down at a distance usually isn't a problem for most folks.

That's easy to fix: quit flying high-wing aircraft. Makes it harder to look straight down, and looking down at a distance usually isn't a problem for most folks.

It's a low wing. I can see down in front of the wing.

Not as many tall towers out in the West as in the Mid-West and East. For example, there is a tower just North of PUB, at about 950'AGL, is one of the taller ones.

But when teaching pvt students, I had a simple way of driving home the point about towers....

2988 = the altitude you will hit the tower at
(2000) = the distance you will fall after hitting it

I also emphasized the idea that the guy wires can reach out almost as far as the tower is high.

The Missouri City tower farm just on the West side of the HOU Class B is pretty spectacular! In low IFR, it was common to see the tops of the towers sticking well up out of the fog. On a clear night, having a cluster of about 8 sets of lights just below the arrival altitude when heading for Rwy 4 at HOU can be real distracting. But when you know they are there, and you are hard IFR on the approach to Rwy 4, they are always in the back of your mind!

So true, Anthony.... but they don't have guy wires! lol and most of the time they are easily seen! Not to mention that there is a very short way to fall should you connect with one of our 'granite towers'....

Back