Speaking of Squawk Codes

RileyMitchum

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
RileyMitchum
I didn't want to 7500 :yikes: the thread about the strange squawk code but I had an interesting situation the other day. I was going to stay in the pattern the whole time in VFR conditions so I assumed I would stay on 1200. However just before take off the tower assigns me a squawk code to use, closed traffic! I had never had this happen so it seemed odd to me. Does it happen often? FYI it's a class D airport (KOUN) not far from a class C (KOKC)

Occasionally here in Class C with several in the pattern, but not often.

Doing some pattern work last month, KCDW tower had me switch codes 2 or 3 times before going back to 1200. The controller said they were doing a tower tour and wanted to demo how the codes show on their monitors.

Used to happen to me quite a bit at TLH when doing training, but I think it was just one controller. If a different controller would take over he would have me switch back to 1200 even if I was on my third or fourth loop around the field.

Probably inputting and departing a flight plan in order to accurately reflect traffic count. Make the numbers and stay open...

Happens sometimes.

Once I've been assigned a squawk code for an echo airport...

I've had towers give squawk codes for transits of the class D.

Our local airport(Class D) often has inbound traffic squawk 0400. I expect it's because they have a display in the tower and can use that to isolate the inbound traffic.

Let's not waist time, pointless discussion.

I believe you mean "waste" time. Odd that you chose to enter a discussion that you believed pointless.

I clearly see that it's in delta airport and it's untowered.

Actually, that's not very clear. You did refer to it as "an echo airport."

At midland intl. KMAF they always give you a squawk even when in the pattern

Odd that you chose to enter a discussion that you believed pointless.

No it's a good thread. I just think that discussion that me and you are having is kinda pointless.

Back