Spare Pair of Glasses

Do you carry spare Rx glasses in your flight bag?

• Yes, I carry a spare set of Rx glasses when I fly.

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • I carry a pair of Rx glasses & a pair of Rx sunglasses.

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • I do not normally care spare Rx glasses with me when I fly.

Votes: 9 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Len Lanetti

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Lenny
If you wear glasses...do you carry a spare in your flight bag?

I do. I started once I could no longer pass the eye exam without my glasses.

I keep the spare set in either my laptop bag when I go to work or travel for business. When I fly the spare set goes in my flight bag. Never had to resort to the backup glasses for flying but recently the temple on my primary glasses broke at work. Having the spare set was handy.

Len

Last edited:
While not required per my medical I am starting to need reading glasses. I carry a set in my flight bag plus there are various pair wherever I may need them.

Scott

I wear contacts and I can see well enough without them to fly if one gets lost in flight (uncorrected my left eye is 20/30). On long trips I carry spare lenses and/or perscription glasses, but not where I could reach them while in the air. I do have a lighted mirror clipped to the left sun visor so I can recenter a lens if it gets bumped off my cornea. And FWIW the mirror light does an excellent job of illuminating the instruments on the panel at night.

Len Lanetti said:
If you wear glasses...do you carry a spare in your flight bag?

I do. I started once I could no longer pass the eye exam without my glasses.

I keep the spare set in either my laptop bag when I go to work or travel for business. When I fly the spare set goes in my flight bag. Never had to resort to the backup glasses for flying but recently the temple on my primary glasses broke at work. Having the spare set was handy.

Len

They're both always in my flightbag that's in my vehicle that's near me, or in my pocket. Came in handy once in my life in a minor damage of glasses but not while flying.

Last edited:
I'm 20/25 in one eye, 20/30 in the other, but 20/15 combined. BUt since I have a Class II right now - I only wear glasses when I fly, cause my medical says so.

Oh, I also wear glasses when I golf because it's hard to see a little white ball at 300+ yards.

I currently wear contacts, and carry a spare pair of regular glasses with optical quality clip-on sunglasses (trifocal sunglasses are way too expensive to buy just as a spare). When I wore regular glasses, each time I got a new pair, the previous pair went in my nav bag. Pretty much a necessity for me, as I can't even see across the room without corrective lenses.

When I needed glasses (before eye surgery) I always carried both clear and sunglasses.

What I've always carried in my bag as the "spare" was the previous "primary" set. The prescriptions are changing, but they aren't changing -that- much.

I also wear a strap on my glasses while flying to make sure they don't come off. Call me paranoid.

Brett

I still usually throw one or two spare eyeglasses in the bag along with the too much other stuff.

I don't need glasses for distance so it's not like I'd be under the hood if my glasses broke.

I really struggle to make out the radio freqs and such on the chart without reading glasses. Setting the kolhsman window can be a bit of a bear, too.

Last edited:
My eyes are 20-200 and 20-400, with some astigmatism thrown in to boot. Pretty bad! Corrected to 20-20 in both. I wear varilux lens glasses and the same for sunglasses. I carry both sets.

On my last BFR we were making a Foggled VFR approach to the airport with the CFI calling out vectors. I told him that he would have to take the controls briefly when the Foggles came off so I could put my glasses on, a two handed process when wearing the headset. He suggested that I try the landing without glasses.

It went well... but I don't think I would want to try that at night. It was quite a confindence builder. You may want to try that the next time the CFI is with you.

-Skip

Back