Space Shuttle over NE or KS tomorrow

It came over the Ozarks today. News this morning said between 11:43 to 11:53. At 11:51 by my watch I happened to be standing outside and heard two sonic booms. WHOO HOO!

I loved hearing the twin booms when I lived in Orlando, but today it came right over Jax. I thought a tree branch had hit the roof until I remembered the shuttle route.

I heard it in south Georgia. Rattled the windows real nice!

I missed it- coworker called from outside so I don't know if there was anything to see or hear.

I have never seen it land. Saw it take flight 7 times up close and a few more times from far away. I did watch it come in on the 747 twice. But the best part was getting on board three times to work a couple of issue we had with it when I worked there.

But even then the coolest thing I ever got to do was work in the firing room for a shuttle launch. It is just too cool to be in the pit. Ask Kent about his sister and he can tell you. She gets to do it all the time.

But I am still the most impressed with the people who fly or flew this stuff. I am fortunate that I have met and spoken with an astronaut from every American space program. I even got to spend the afternoon with Capt. Al Bean. That was the greatest. He even gave me his home address and told me to write if I had more questions for him. He signed a poster for me that said how much fun he had driving around in my car. Too cool!

Last edited:
Back