SP to PP-ASEL transition?

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
A buddy of mine started PP training a long time ago, then had to give it up. He was just about to get started again, then had a heart attack.

He's been getting the itch to start back into it, but needs to get his medical situation in order.

One of the local FBOs now has a Cessna LSA, so no medical required.

I just forewarded him some info from AOPA and Doc Bruce about the steps necessary to get his class-III. He may, or may not, decide it's worth the trouble.

So, lets say he starts training as a SP student, and maybe even gets his SP. and suppose, down the road, he does commit to getting his class-III - if he then starts PP training, how much of the SP training will carry over? What about a transition from SP to PP? Are the minimum requirements similar enough that it won't be like starting over?

Thanks.

I just noticed a thread over on the red board that was asking essentially the same thing.

So, lets say he starts training as a SP student, and maybe even gets his SP. and suppose, down the road, he does commit to getting his class-III - if he then starts PP training, how much of the SP training will carry over?
All the training he receives from a CFI-ASE counts towards the PP training time requirements. Training received from a CFI-SP counts towards total flight time, but not training time requirements. Solo time counts, but the solo cross countries need to be over 50nm to count for PP solo XC requirements (Sport need only be over 25nm).

What about a transition from SP to PP? Are the minimum requirements similar enough that it won't be like starting over?
Yes, they are. The things he will have to add are the instrument, night, and longer XC's (dual and solo, if done only over 25nm, not 50nm), plus any additional training hours to meet the minimum 20 hours from a CFI-ASE.

Yes, they are. The things he will have to add are the instrument, night, and longer XC's (dual and solo, if done only over 25nm, not 50nm), plus any additional training hours to meet the minimum 20 hours from a CFI-ASE.

Which leads one to suspect that the idea that you can get a SP in 1/2 the time required for a PP might be a bit, um... optimistic.

A buddy of mine started PP training a long time ago, then had to give it up. He was just about to get started again, then had a heart attack.

He's been getting the itch to start back into it, but needs to get his medical situation in order.

One of the local FBOs now has a Cessna LSA, so no medical required.

I just forewarded him some info from AOPA and Doc Bruce about the steps necessary to get his class-III. He may, or may not, decide it's worth the trouble.

So, lets say he starts training as a SP student, and maybe even gets his SP. and suppose, down the road, he does commit to getting his class-III - if he then starts PP training, how much of the SP training will carry over? What about a transition from SP to PP? Are the minimum requirements similar enough that it won't be like starting over?

Thanks.

Also, I'll almost certainly be doing the transition from sport to private this summer. I'm happy to let you know how it goes.

Back