Southern Flyer Restaurant at Brenham, TX (11R) Sunday 2/24/2008

t0r0nad0

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
PJ Gustafson
Hey Everyone,

My mother is in town this weekend so I'm going to fly her and my better half to Brenham for lunch on Sunday. If any of you would like to hop in an airplane and head out to Brenham to meet up with us, that would be awesome! I will be in N1629E and I plan to launch from SGR at about 11:20-11:30am, putting me in Brenham at about 12:30 or so. I have the plane reserved until 3PM, so we'll be there for about an hour or so to eat before we head back (hopefully that yummy, deep-fried goodness won't put me over w/b for the return trip!). Any takers?

My trip to Brenham was fun, but unfortunately they had topped off the tanks before my rental plane's morning flight, so I couldn't bring my better half with us due to w/b issues.

Mom and I departed SGR at about 11:45am after that loooong taxi to the end of 35 (the FBO is at the approach end of 17), with another plane from my flight school trailing us who was also heading to Brenham. I opened our flight plan as we were climbing, then I leveled off at 2500' and called Departure for flight following. They gave us a squawk code and told me to let them know when Brenham was in sight.
We were fighting a 15 kt headwind on the way up there, so it took us a little while, but finally I had it in sight and told approach. My company plane behind me was not talking to approach, but a Golden Eagle that took off from SGR long after us was and they passed over my head at 4500' about 15nm before Brenham. They advised me of his presence and told me to squawk VFR and cleared me to change to the advisory frequency. When I did, there were about 8 planes in the pattern or approaching the airport. I went north for a bit so that I can approach the airport directly from the east in order to let the twin go by me and get in first.

There was a good bit of traffic approaching from the east down low, so I stayed at 2300' as I crossed over mid-field (announcing everything, of course), then as I got about 1-2 miles west of the aiport, I "chopped and dropped" as I spiraled around in a teardrop to join the downwind for runway 34. I followed a Cardinal around base and final, with my company plane right on my tail.

I set her down and cleared the runway at the first taxiway, then taxied in to the ramp. There were so many planes there that the owner was out on the ramp pointing out where different planes should park. He parked me where there wasn't even a tie-down spot. I shut down the engines and he chocked my nosewheel, then mom and I went inside for our 40 minute wait for a table.

We had a great lunch, then went back out to depart at about 1:45p. There was a DA20 going to park in the place next to me, but there wasn't enough space and he didn't want us to overlap wings. I was about to shut my doorwhen I asked him if he needed some help. Instead, he and his copilot offered to push me out of my spot so that they can then push themselves into theirs. They pushed me out, I started up, and taxied to the runway. I held short while waiting for a 182RG to land, then I held in position after they passed overhead until they had cleared the runway.

I took off and turned east before heading south, climbed to 3500', and called Approach for flight following back to SGR. It was so clear that I could see the buildings of downtown Houston through the light haze as soon as I took off from Brenham. That 15kt headwind that I was fighting on the way up there turned into a 15kt tailwind helping me on the way back, so the return trip was much shorter.

Approach handed me off to SGR tower and they had me make left traffic for runway 35. I did a touch & go since I had some extra time and I wanted to knock out my 3 takeoffs and landings to make me current for the next 90 days. I made right traffic the next time around, and tower had me extend downwind for other traffic. They didn't turn me back to the airport until I was about 7 nm south! They offered another company plane on downwind the opportunity to cut me off and make a shorter approach, but they declined. As I came on final I heard my company plane that followed me to Brenham call midfield on downwind. I touched down and kept my speed up to the first taxiway, but tower had to send the plane behind me around (the one that declined cutting me off).

All in all, it was a fun 1.8 hours that let me finish off another page in my logbook. I wish that the better half could have gone with me, but that just gives me more motivation to start exercising and lose more weight (or just get checked out in a bigger airplane ;) ). Mom had a good time, and it was a gorgeous day to go flying!

My trip to Brenham was fun, but unfortunately they had topped off the tanks before my rental plane's morning flight, so I couldn't bring my better half with us due to w/b issues.

So, PJ... How'd you tell her this??? :hairraise:

Mom and I departed SGR at about 11:45am after that loooong taxi to the end of 35 (the FBO is at the approach end of 17), with another plane from my flight school trailing us who was also heading to Brenham.

Should have put your better half in the other plane, maybe you'd burn enough fuel to bring her with you on the return trip?

So, PJ... How'd you tell her this??? :hairraise:

She knew from previous flights that wt./bal. may be an issue. I told her that as long as we had half tanks, we should be fine. When I called the FBO in the morning and they told me that the tanks had been topped off that morning, she actually gave me an "out" and asked if she should just not go. I said that it would probably be safer if she didn't, and it would have been bad to get all the way to the airport, then find out she couldn't go with us. I still felt sick to my stomach at having to leave her behind. In talking with her later, she said that she did feel bad because she felt that she was "too fat to fly", which is totally not the case. She works out at least 4 days a week and rides her bike about 30-50 miles every weekend, so it wasn't that she was too fat, but that my mom and I (who outweigh her by 30 and 80 lbs, respectively) are too fat for her to fly. With the fuel on board, we probably would have only been about 50lbs over max gross or so. I actually considered taking her despite that for a couple of minutes, since we would have been within the balance parameters, it was a pretty cool day, and there are long runways with a good wind forecast right down the runways at both locations, but then I thought about having to explain my reasoning in front of an administrative judge. Somehow, it didn't sound quite as good when starting out by saying, "Your Honor, I...". Still, I felt sick to my stomach and I still feel guilty about not getting to take her flying. So, now I have more motivation to lose some weight and I'll have to take her flying another time!

Should have put your better half in the other plane, maybe you'd burn enough fuel to bring her with you on the return trip?

Unfortunately, I didn't know that guy was following me until he was holding in position on the runway after I was climbing out and tower asked his direction of travel. He replied with, "We're heading northwest, we'll be following our company plane to Brenham." He also had his wife and two young daughters in his plane.

Back