Southern CA Pilots

Why is there a checkout? Didn't seem that bad when I was there.

I think it has something to do with the insurance... had to do a check out to there and Big Bear when I flew out of the LGB Flying Club as well when I can to Ventura had to do the same with CI Aviation...

Other than that it can get pretty busy or should I say a little crazy over there on a good summer weekend..

I think it has something to do with the insurance... had to do a check out to there and Big Bear when I flew out of the LGB Flying Club as well when I can to Ventura had to do the same with CI Aviation...

Precisely, after each accident insurance demands special check out to the particular airport. Catalina and Big Bear are the most notorious for that insurance demand. Airports checkout may vary from club to club or school to school. For example, we have a checkout for Fallbrook airport just because at some point of time someone who used to belong to he club ran out at the runway end..

Student pilot out of MYF. Does anyone know if there's a SD club that rents a DA40 with the G1000? I'm doing my training in a vintage C172, but would love to get checked out and do time building in the DA40 once I have my PPL.

Anyone know where I can get some basic aerobatics training?

P.S. We should have our own message board =)

aviator flight training at kful can get you started in aerobatics

two planed to choose from
great lakes biplane or north american t6
714-423-4440

Student pilot out of MYF. Does anyone know if there's a SD club that rents a DA40 with the G1000? I'm doing my training in a vintage C172, but would love to get checked out and do time building in the DA40 once I have my PPL.

plus one has one.. www.plusone.org

Sunrise aviation at KSNA. Pinnacle at CRQ USED TO have an aerobatics course when i did my PPL there in 2001.

The Great Lakes is a great airplane to learn tailwheel. That's what I learned in, I love the long oleos on the gear. Makes for cushy landings. ODn

Why is there a checkout? Didn't seem that bad when I was there.

It's not, people freak out on the cliff and the hump so they would land long and think they are running out of runway so they would stand on the brakes right about the speed bump that was after the first turn off. Several planes, mostly 182s collapsed their nose gear at that point. There is also landing near sunset which will leave you with very poor visibility on final and make the dirt dark and the runway light which lost us the VASI when Bob landed his Arrow on top of it...:rofl: Then there is the traffic factor in the summer and a bit of a non standard arrival into the pattern which has you head for the Isthmus then left 180 onto downwind then right traffic to the runway. That is the safest entry and the ones the locals use. When the weather is bad, it gets even more interesting as the IFR approach is almost always useless due to ceilings. If there is a gap most people come in under the ceiling and just straight into the runway. If the deck covers the runway, everyone will stack up above and wait for the hole over the numbers then dive for the runway. Luckily on these days it's typically just locals trying to get in who know not to hit the brakes as there is someone right behind them. Usually we'd all be talking to each other in the conga line and we would stack up by speed with slow planes going in last.

Do you know where in KSNA (John Wayne Airport) I can park to pick up and friend?
I can't find GA parking and called couple of FBOs and they are charging over $30 just for parking and providing any services. Do they have any GA transient parking ?

Do you know where in KSNA (John Wayne Airport) I can park to pick up and friend?
I can't find GA parking and called couple of FBOs and they are charging over $30 just for parking and providing any services. Do they have any GA transient parking ?

I don't think there is any transient GA parking without going to Signature or Atlantic. Try to negotiate with them.

Signature or Atlantic. I have picked folks up at Atlantic with no charge.
Or maybe they just missed me popping in for a quick pick up.

Any Plus One members here? I am out of CRQ and trying to decide between PCF and Plus One...

Back