SOUND Driving me Crazy

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
Emitting from my desktop PC every three or four -- maybe five -- minutes is an audible "clink - clink." ??????????????? It must be giving me some sort of signal about something. However, when it occurs I've not been able to observe any mini blinking ikon or other visual advisory. The wireless mouse has its own "battery low" LED; it's not the same sound that indicates an incoming e-mail.
What information is it trying to announce to me?

HR

Emitting from my desktop PC every three or four -- maybe five -- minutes is an audible "clink - clink." ??????????????? It must be giving me some sort of signal about something. However, when it occurs I've not been able to observe any mini blinking ikon or other visual advisory. The wireless mouse has its own "battery low" LED; it's not the same sound that indicates an incoming e-mail.

HR

Try moving your cell phone away from your PC speakers.

HR

I'm assuming you mean a mechanical noise and not a sound being played through your speakers.

If so, probably an imminent hard drive failure. Back up your data!

Click of Death is certainly a possibility, depending on the sound. If this is a Windows machine, I would check your System Log for any clues.

Thanks for the responses. Jack may have resolved the mystery of the electronic sound. I have 2 cell phones. One is always in my shirt pocket and, sometimes, causes some cross-feed sound through the PC speakers. The other cell phone is dedicated to a specific, singular use. It was sitting on the work station, under some envelopes.
This morning, having read the above advisories, I picked that phone up and, looking at the battery-level indicator, saw that there were no power indicators visible. After putting it on its charger, in another section of the house, there's been no continuing
"clink - clink" evoked from my PC. The battery-low signal must have been cross-feeding through the PC. Duuhhhhhhhhhhh. 59° and raining in Maine.

HR

Back