Sonex aircraft to offer transition training

X3 Skier

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Geezer
http://www.sonexaircraft.com/press/releases/pr_050613.html

Excellent plan. There are a few other CFI's who are authorized but this is the first factory operation for any kit plane I am aware of but I could be wrong.

Pretty cheap for the benefit IMHO. Since Sonex does not do orientation rides like Zenith for example, it is also a way to help decide if the design is for you. In my case, I am considering a Onex and a Sonex is close enough.

Cheers

Great idea, and in keeping the FAA and EAA recommendations for first flights. This is where most accidents happen due to no transition training.

My view is while the Aerovee is connected to Sonex LLC in some way, not sure of the actual corporate connection, I am favoring Great Plains or Revmaster. Both have made some significant design changes for aviation use while the Aerovee is more stock. The other two also offer built and test run engines which is a good option to have, if you don't want to build up the Aerovee.

All are good a choice IMHO, but as in life, things are a trade off.

Cheers

Last edited:
I just noticed that in addition to the 2+2 and 2+5 program, they also offer a 1/2+1/2 hour ground and flight deal for $100. If I can do that in conjunction with the 2 Day workshop, I will sign up followed by the 2+5 when/if I build the Onex.

Cheers

Everything Sonex does just makes sense. They have shied away from the secondary market in Sonex, but it does exist, and they do want to have safe pilots in their planes.

Another feather in the cap of Sonex, and one more reason I'll prolly buy one. Now I can get some help flying it so I don't have to re-invent the wheel.

Those look interesting, too. The AeroVee at $7K for a brand new engine kit that can be assembled in 12 hours was intriguing.

Good luck with doing one in 12 hrs. Maybe if you've done it several times before. I'm in the process of flying of the phase 1 on my Sonex/Aerovee I built.
It certainly helped that I'd owned one before for a couple years .. even though I didn't build it.

RT

Everything Sonex does just makes sense. They have shied away from the secondary market in Sonex, but it does exist, and they do want to have safe pilots in their planes.

Another feather in the cap of Sonex, and one more reason I'll prolly buy one. Now I can get some help flying it so I don't have to re-invent the wheel.

Sonex is about the easiest airplane to fly I've been in.

RT

Back