Something wrong with this artificial horizon?

birdus

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Williams
Is it okay/normal for an artificial horizon to vibrate like this? This is in a Luscome 8E.

Only if the real horizon is doing the same thing. Something's definitely wrong. I've got my guesses, but that's all they'd be and I'm sure more experienced folks will be along to help you.

Edit: Watched the video a few more times full screen and thought I saw your heading indicator twitch suddenly a few times, too, but couldn't tell if it was a video artifact or real. What does your suction/vacuum gauge read/how does it behave?

Last edited:
If you want an IFR rating you gotta get steadier hands.

Was there an earthquake occurring in the immediate vicinity at the time?
No? It needs fixing/replacing.

Might be time for new tires on that Luscombe.

Why would a Luscombe need an AH? Going to blast off into that clouds with that thing? Me, I'd just fly around the patch on sunny days.

Not my plane. Someone else flying it. I'm looking at buying it.

Last edited:
Dammit! You've already got me spending money and I haven't even bought the airplane yet!!!

Well since you are putting the down payment by buying a plane .... we might as chime in to spend your money

Get info on cost to repair/replace. Get it taken off the top and enjoy your new to you Luscombe.

That's exactly what I think I'll do. Thanks for the advice. Then there's that AV-30. Couldn't find the "drool" smiley.

Would be a great use for a AV-30

Yeah, that thing is sweet, and looks like a good value. About 73% the cost of the Garmin.

For me it’s not the cost as much as the instrument, WAAAY better form factor, garmin was stupid making the G5 square considering the demographic it’s being sold to, plus how it can be configured and all, the probeless AOA seems interesting, just seems like a slam dunk.

Jeff Bethel is a former Aspen guy so the AV series is steeped in decades of glass experience. I think it’s an outstanding option if you don’t want to drive a GFC. The forthcoming AP converter will be a solution for legacy autopilot owners as well.

The Aerovonics website mentions STEC support and upcoming "legacy" AP support. Does anyone know if the AV30 will interface with a TruTrak ap?

Back