Something like a barn find (strange for Sacramento, anyways)

Wow. And you didn't give your Sac buddy first dibs. Hmmmm

Why is it that the auctioneers don't do any homework on something like an airplane? They want $22K for that Taylorcraft, sheesh, plenty of flying examples around for less than that.

A few years ago I went to an old guy's place to look at a Piper J5 Cub Cruiser project he had for sale. It also was in the Sacramento area. When I got there it was a typical residential neighborhood, about 10 years old. But when I went through the fence gate for the address there was about an acre lot with a workshop, some trees and overgrown grass. It looked like something that had been suspended in time.

Turned out this old guy, who was about 90, had pulled that J5 into his workshop sometime back in the mid 60's at a time when there was nothing but empty fields and a few farms around and continued slowly working on it over the next 50 years as the city and community grew up around his little time capsule. In fact, if I had bought that plane we would have had to dismantle part of the fence around the property because there was no gate large enough to get it out.

Wonder what the Sonerai project went for..... :confused:

It looks like both aircraft are still available. I went to the auction website and both are listed.

http://schiffestateservices.com/

I imagine that the T-Craft might be a little bit expensive is that it has documented "warbird" history? I expect some people might be will to pay a little extra for that.

I always hits home to see pictures of a guy enjoying his airplane, working on it for years, finally getting to fly it, and then... medical issues. Next thing we know its at an estate sale.

We're all a day away from humility.

Fly em' while you can.

It looks like both aircraft are still available. I went to the auction website and both are listed.

WOW! Serial Number 1 on the Sonerai II ......!

Last edited:
WOW! Serial Number 1......!

That T crate isn't your typical BC 12 D.

The Taylor craft air ambulance is a highly sought after War bird, and very collectable aircraft.

Word gets out, they will get the price easy.

A good portion of the homebuilts ever built are s/n 1.

That T crate isn't your typical BC 12 D.

The Taylor craft air ambulance is a highly sought after War bird, and very collectable aircraft.

Word gets out, they will get the price easy.

Tom-

Is the airframe different in some way?

I have a freshly-restored L-2 that's identical to the one in the picture, including the small writing table behind the rotating aft seat. It's not the litter plane that has a full aft fuse rather than the low-profile version that allows the bubble canopy to be used for observation.

Tom-

Is the airframe different in some way?

I have a freshly-restored L-2 that's identical to the one in the picture, including the small writing table behind the rotating aft seat. It's not the litter plane that has a full aft fuse rather than the low-profile version that allows the bubble canopy to be used for observation.

Wayne-

I read somewhere that the observers seat must be disabled per the FAA? Seemed weird, but I guess they didn't want anyone flying facing backwards. I'd love to see that one.

BTW- How is Palm Desert? You're missing the best Golf weather I think I've ever seen in February.

I don't think the FAA looks at all of the seats, although we've never turned it around in flight. I'll have it at ADS sometime soon, we'll go play in it. It has an o-200 and spoilers, so it's kinda fun.

PD is great as always. The difference is the predictability of the weather, the condition (overseeding and manicuring) of the courses that can't be done back home and the sheer beauty of the place. Had a reasonable chance to shoot my age yesterday but went to sleep on an easy 5-par on the back nine and screwed it up.

My best friend of 62 years comes each year and we use the trip as a bit of a get-away from the routines as well as an exercise and diet-watching time. For the past few years the midwest has had at least one major cold snap and snowstorm while we've been away, but maybe this year will be different.

Wayne-

I read somewhere that the observers seat must be disabled per the FAA? Seemed weird, but I guess they didn't want anyone flying facing backwards. I'd love to see that one.

BTW- How is Palm Desert? You're missing the best Golf weather I think I've ever seen in February.

Back