Something GA should not be used for.

yea, I was going to say in my post if it needs to go to spin so be it.

Wolves are a huge impact on moose, deer and elk populations. Aerial shooting of wolves has been going on for several decades.

Just for the record....

Wolves are NOTHING "like us" as was stated in the clip. That statement was purely meant to elicit an emotional response.

Having said that, I don't understand the aerial hunting of any animal. It seems like if they are that spread out and hard to find, that there would be only a minimal need to decrease the population.

Wolf packs were visitors in our camp only once or twice when I was in Alaska, and we saw them on a ridge about a mile a way a couple of times. They got hungry in the late winter and came in after some chow most likely. I stayed inside partially because a wolf can see better than me and partially because my neighbors couldn't see as good as me. I figured I didn't want to surprise a wolf pack attacking a 50 lb sack of kibble. I reallydidn't want to surprise some trigger happy neighbor with a 12ga.

Are wolves decimating the local herds up there that much still?

--Matt Rogers

Best comment:

Is there any way that we could see more wounded wolves.Its a shame when wolves are cleanly killed.Wolves need to die the same way that they kill their prey.Slow and painfully.

I know, its heartless, but its not far from the truth. That said, I hunt the old fashioned way, and I'm not sure I'd be cool with hunting from a plane with a 12ga. They should be using a bit cleaner round like a 30.06 or something.

Wolves are a huge impact on moose, deer and elk populations. Aerial shooting of wolves has been going on for several decades.

<fill in the blank with something shortsighted and foolish> has been going on for centuries, but that doesn't make it right.

Are wolves decimating the local herds up there that much still?

--Matt Rogers

As in many states it is an issue of competing for wild resources. It is "us" vs. the wolves.

Difference being, most states don't have IN THEIR STATE CONSTITUTION the following phrase:

Fish, forests, wildlife, grasslands, and all other replenishable resources belonging to the State shall be utilized, developed, and maintained on the sustained yield principle, subject to preferences among beneficial uses.
The state has the constitutional duty to manage game in a way that produces supermarket-like results when it comes to hunting and fishing opportunities here. All other wildlife priorities on a state level are secondary.

Of course federal laws trump state ones. They are not permitted to perform predator control on many federal lands, and if a species becomes stressed then other federal laws kick in (recent polar bear listing as an example. Oh, the state loved that one.)

Of course the new VP pick never saw a wolf she wouldn't be happy to blast herself. But there is internal debate about the sustained yield phrase, and there are a lot of old-guard biologists on the state payroll here that are nearing retirement. Be interesting to see what the hunting landscape will look like in ten years.

Last edited:
Leaving out the "managed resources" discussion:

If you need a plane to hunt, you aren't a hunter, you're playing a game. And hunting isn't a game.

Cheers,

-Andrew
ardent defender of hunting rights, hater of idiot "hunters"

This isn't hunting, it's killing for the sake of killing. Chest thumping neanderthals, inadequate manhood. It's sickening.

I can see the need if it really were an issue of needing to control levels in a given area be it a risk to other species or biological threats within a sector of species threatening the rest. But, it appears that's not quite the case here.

This isn't hunting, it's killing for the sake of killing. Chest thumping neanderthals, inadequate manhood. It's sickening.
Thatnks for saying that Chip.

I am not anti-hunting but if you hunt for food and survival you need advantage. If you are hunting because it feels good to kill something then try and at least give the animal a chance and make a sport out of it. After all, these hunters call themselves sportsman, but all they really are well equipped bullies.

Leaving out the "managed resources" discussion:

If you need a plane to hunt, you aren't a hunter, you're playing a game. And hunting isn't a game.

Cheers,

-Andrew
ardent defender of hunting rights, hater of idiot "hunters"

Don' be goin' to Tejas, where "hunting" means setting up a feeder that goes off same time every day. The skill to huntin' that way is to not spill yo're beer as you pull the trigger.

Tejas is also the place where a guy set up a gun that was remote controlled over the internet. From the comfort of your home, you could aim and fire. I think he even had folks that would clean the carcass and send you meat.

Neither of those are "hunting" to me.

Don' be goin' to Tejas, where "hunting" means setting up a feeder that goes off same time every day. The skill to huntin' that way is to not spill yo're beer as you pull the trigger.

Tejas is also the place where a guy set up a gun that was remote controlled over the internet. From the comfort of your home, you could aim and fire. I think he even had folks that would clean the carcass and send you meat.

Neither of those are "hunting" to me.

Just spent 3 days down there at one of our facilities. Was talking hunting with some of our guys and one had a picture of a local "rancher" who had a hydraulic tower mounted to the back of a Jeep. Drive to feeder, pop up tower, kill, drive to next feeder. That's systems and organization, not hunting...

Cheers,

-Andrew

As one who lives primarily off what I kill and drag home, this type of activity should be illegal and is repugnant. The only exception could be situations where livestock is at risk.

Back