Someone with way more guts than me.

steingar

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
steingar
caged from the Email I get from the EAA. Probably illegal 5 ways to Sunday now.

She had faith in her work, I'll give her that! I'd have been worried that whatever caused the original wheel to come off would have weakened the undercarriage so that it wouldn't support her weight hanging from it. Note that there were at least four planes in relatively close formation during that!

caged from the Email I get from the EAA. Probably illegal 5 ways to Sunday now.

I hope she remembered to note the work in the aircraft logbook and sign it.

Oh the horrors.... She walked on the no walk portion of the wing and even used struts and wires to hold onto the plane.:hairraise::hairraise: :thumbsup:

She had faith in her work, I'll give her that!

And she was on the wing without restraints during landing which could result in a ground loop if she did shoddy work. Maybe that should be part of the final exam before being handed the A&P license. Item number last on the list: Candidates confidence in own work performed, check, here's your license to wrench on airplanes.

I'd have been worried that whatever caused the original wheel to come off would have weakened the undercarriage so that it wouldn't support her weight hanging from it.

Missing axle nut is the most likely cause. That's assuming the nut wasn't deliberately removed before takeoff just so they could do an inflight wheel installation.

Holy Moley.....I'd buy her a beer any day of the week!

Missing axle nut is the most likely cause. That's assuming the nut wasn't deliberately removed before takeoff just so they could do an inflight wheel installation.

My guess is it was deliberate so they could do the stunt. Had the aircraft landed and done a ground loop it probably would have been less dangerous.

Most definitely pre-planned/staged, but still amazing work!

My guess is it was deliberate so they could do the stunt. Had the aircraft landed and done a ground loop it probably would have been less dangerous.

Yes, there would be no logical reason to do such a thing except for fun and profit. :D
One good thing about doing it without a parachute: you will be very, very careful. :D

. . .. . and to think: my wife ******* if I ask her to check the oil!

Wells

. . .. . and to think: my wife ******* if I ask her to check the oil!

Then get rid of the shiny slippery no hand hold airplane and get a real one with wires and struts that she can hold onto. And give her a rag, paper towels don't hold up very well in wind. :thumbsup:

Ever notice that on a substantial portion of the daring video's from the Glory Days of aviation, that the brave menly men are sitting safely inside the planes with their seat belts on and the sissy women are out on the wings? What's up with that? :dunno:

Ever notice that on a substantial portion of the daring video's from the Glory Days of aviation, that the brave menly men are sitting safely inside the planes with their seat belts on and the sissy women are out on the wings? What's up with that? :dunno:

Mostly it goes to show that men aren't a dumb as some might have one believe...

Mostly it goes to show that men aren't a dumb as some might have one believe...

Chivalry is dead.

I sure am glad popular music has improved since then.

Are you kidding? That's classic! Today it would have been done with digital video and voiceover from the local doom and gloom anti aviation news media who would have trashed that piece of art followed by a pile of regulations and laws. Today's FAA would have been out on a witch hunt for all their heads for that one.

Last edited:
So I have to wonder how is it that she and the wing walkers from that era don't put a foot through those fabric wings? Is the Fabric really that strong?

Last edited:
So I have to wonder how is it that she and the wing walkers from that ear don't put a foot through those fabric wings? Is the Fabric really that strong?

I am seeing slight pauses as she makes each step...probably onto a rib. Must have been all rehearsed many times on the ground. In fact it looks like she walks the spar. Even at that, its possible she wouldn't go through fabric if she is light...and not wearing heels!

I am seeing slight pauses as she makes each step...probably onto a rib. Must have been all rehearsed many times on the ground. In fact it looks like she walks the spar. Even at that, its possible she wouldn't go through fabric if she is light...and not wearing heels!

Maybe that's why the men were in the cockpit and the women on the wing and not vice versa.

Didn't I see something like that in Executive Decision? Looks like there were 4 planes involved in one wheel change. You don't get that kind of response from AAA!

Didn't I see something like that in Executive Decision? Looks like there were 4 planes involved in one wheel change. You don't get that kind of response from AAA!

must have been a union job...

but holy cow, she didnt even have a chute on!

Her work was not signed off therefore suspect. If the wheel had departed upon landing, she would have been thrown forward as the plane rounded up to the port side. It would've dis ass'd her.

Back