Someone told me to go to your local airport and talk to people?

In a lot of ways, getting know people at your local airport is like getting to know people at churches.

The key is to get involved, and be assertive. You have to break into existing social networks into an organization - although it really does need you - is doing ok without you.

All churches say they are friendly, but in my experience, most really are only superficially friendly. Same as airports.

That is an interesting comparison

I guess it is different around here. I remember the first time I washed the Bo.. Spent more time meeting folks than anything else... Wife got a little miffed after I came home later than I said would....

Pilot's are an independent bunch imho mainly because it's difficult to say "yeah, we'll be there" when you're dealing with weather and mechanical issue$, but mainly weather. Not to mention juggling family life, work, kids, dogs, and who knows. You can wake up to convective SIGMETS all over your route on the very day you planned to leave. So getting together has to just kind of 'happen.'

And +1 what was already said that when you see anyone at the airport, they're leaving or just getting back, and then they're gone. That's a couple of reasons why a lot of field's are lonely deserted places.

Plus they're big. That's three reasons. :wink2:

I was putting my plane up and had the hangar door down but the access door open the other day when a gentleman stepped through somewhat expectantly. This is the first person at my new to me airport with whom I've had anything more than a cursory wave as I taxi past.

I said hello and he asked if I was CAP. I said "nope, I'm just a 172 owner putting her to bed. . ." He said, "wrong guy" and left. He seemed to be in a bit of a hurry, but I was a little disappointed he didn't even bother to stop for 30 seconds or so to get acquainted.

Back