Someone else's project

DaleB

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DaleB
Just an idle question. I see a lot of partially and mostly completed kit planes for sale. I am sure I could read through all the rules and figure this out, but I'm sure someone here knows the answer off the top of their head. So let's say I buy someone else's 75% completed kit plane and finish it myself. I didn't do 51% of the work on the plane... does that mean no repairman certificate for that plane, making it similar to buying a completed experimental? How's that work?

It's mostly idle curiosity, like I said.

Just an idle question. I see a lot of partially and mostly completed kit planes for sale. I am sure I could read through all the rules and figure this out, but I'm sure someone here knows the answer off the top of their head. So let's say I buy someone else's 75% completed kit plane and finish it myself. I didn't do 51% of the work on the plane... does that mean no repairman certificate for that plane, making it similar to buying a completed experimental? How's that work?

It's mostly idle curiosity, like I said.

You are not required to do 51% of the work, 51% must be built by any one who is not the manufacturer.

Plans built always comply, the kits must be approved by the FAA as a 51% compliant kit.

as the owner / supervisor you can qualify as the repairman.

Ah, OK. Gotcha. I misunderstood -- thought the builder had to do 51% or more of the work. Thanks for the clarification.

Ah, OK. Gotcha. I misunderstood -- thought the builder had to do 51% or more of the work. Thanks for the clarification.

As long as no one has been awarded a repairman certificate for that airframe, you can apply for one. You may be asked by the FAA to demonstrate a knowledge of the materials and methods used for construction before they issue the certificate.

As long as no one has been awarded a repairman certificate for that airframe, you can apply for one. You may be asked by the FAA to demonstrate a knowledge of the materials and methods used for construction before they issue the certificate.

That's an easy go around, new data tag, new N number and a new inspection, it is your new aircraft.

plus if it's not finished it probably was never issued a R/C anyway.

Back