Somebody please shut Chuck Yeager up.

I've performed with a handful of celebrities. It turns out Tim Russ is a really good blues/rock guitarist. Just a couple of weeks ago, I shared the stage with Beck at Davies in San Francisco, as part of his Song Reader project. And got hit by a door driven by his eye-candy assistant (accident -- it was real crowded in the wings). There were a bunch of other celebrities in the wings, though I didn't perform with any of them. I even provided entertainment for a Buzz Aldrin speaking event once.

Every last one of these guys was 100% gracious. Beck gave a ton of free autographs (though I didn't ask for one -- I really don't have the heart to pester someone like that).

I have no sympathy whatsoever for someone who isn't.

The two celebrities I've performed with were Yo Yo Ma and Luciano Pavarotti. Since I was just one of many musicians in the orchestras, I didn't have occasion to interact with either of them on an individual basis, but I was mightily impressed by their musicianship. I'm not an autograph hunter, but I still have my parking sticker, with Pavarotti's picture on it, stuck to the outside of my bassoon case twenty years later. I'll never be able to replace that case - I'll just have to keep repairing it when something breaks!

Conservative greed is better!

I'm not sure what "conservative greed" is, but any "greed" that involves a voluntary exchange between the buyer and seller is certainly preferable to a transaction where the buyer is forcibly compelled or incentivized to purchase or contribute to something that he may not want.

JKG

I'm not sure what "conservative greed" is,...

I consider greed to be a desire to derive undue benefit at the expense of others. I think anyone who thinks one side or another of the political spectrum has a lock on that is fooling themselves.

...but any "greed" that involves a voluntary exchange between the buyer and seller is certainly preferable to a transaction where the buyer is forcibly compelled or incentivized to purchase or contribute to something that he may not want.

The only people who don't have things that they want to forcibly compel others to do are anarchists.

Didn't know anything about his autograph thing but we see him a lot at lunch in Auburn and he's a real jerk these days. Hardly uses the radio in a busy pattern, rude in the restaurant, still bad mouths Scotty Crossfield, who was a true gentleman - yuk.

Envy is such an ugly thing! :D

Why would a Cougar envy a dog? I don't understand. :D

The two celebrities I've performed with were Yo Yo Ma and Luciano Pavarotti. Since I was just one of many musicians in the orchestras, I didn't have occasion to interact with either of them on an individual basis, but I was mightily impressed by their musicianship. I'm not an autograph hunter, but I still have my parking sticker, with Pavarotti's picture on it, stuck to the outside of my bassoon case twenty years later. I'll never be able to replace that case - I'll just have to keep repairing it when something breaks!

Excellent instrument. I played in school (many, many years ago).

Anyone notice that Inverted is trading off Chuck Yeager's name? If he said somebody please shut Joe Smith up, nobody would pay inverted any attention. Sad inverted has to use someone else's name to get attention.

Anyone notice that Inverted is trading off Chuck Yeager's name? If he said somebody please shut Joe Smith up, nobody would pay inverted any attention. Sad inverted has to use someone else's name to get attention.
If you don't like his point of view, it is sad you have to perpetuate the thread to get attention for yourself.

Inverted has been around a bit longer than you. I don't think he is trying to get 'attention'.

I met Sam Snead at the Greenbrier, must have been close to 20 years ago, he was the guest speaker one night at a Ford function. I spoke with him in front of one of the shops and had my wife take our picture, I didn't get the memo about no pictures or autographs! :redface: He was very gracious and smiled for the picture, which I can't find.:dunno: When he spoke that night after dinner it was apparent that he had enjoyed an adult beverage before getting on the stage, he wasn't drunk, but he appeared "relaxed" :D
I can't remember the exact remarks he made, but if someone were to make them today, it would be national news.:eek: He referred to "the coloreds" and the crowd got REAL QUIET, real fast. I honestly didn't think too much about it, it is more of his generation and how they were raised.
As a non-celebrity, I am pretty sure I would not like people asking me for autographs if I were more well known. I feel like I can remain somewhat anonymous as long as I keep ignoring the Kardashian sisters phone calls! :D

Are the personality traits, temperament and other attributes that help produce superior fighter pilots the same as those required to score well on a Dale Carnegie profile?

Interestingly, Snead was one of the greatest golfers of his era but not the nicest guy on the tour. Yeager seems to be cut from the same cloth. IIRC, both grew up in the same part of the country.

Are the personality traits, temperament and other attributes that help produce superior fighter pilots the same as those required to score well on a Dale Carnegie profile?

That reminded me of this old quote…

Show me a hero, and I will show you a bum
– Col. Pappy Boyington

I can't believe I wasted my time reading such a meaningless, pointless thread. Now I am posting in it. I, sir, am an absolute idiot!:mad2:

I can't believe I wasted my time reading such a meaningless, pointless thread. Now I am posting in it. I, sir, am an absolute idiot!:mad2:

Congrats on recognizing your personal flaws and it only took you two posts, most of us take years to figure them out! :D:D

Back