Some Trip Advice

loudbagel

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Hummingbird Saltalamacchia
Im taking my first true trip as a private pilot and just looking for some general advice on traveling.

I have only had full service fuel, some have said that self service pumps are hard to figure out....are they? Any tips when using the pumps in terms of general courtesy?

I am tying my plane down outside for three days, besides tying it down anything else I should do?

Any other tips you can think of for the new traveler would be appreciated !

Some of the self serve pumps are a PITA, but typically if you follow the instructions they work.

advice? Okay, don't run out of gas and don't fly into/under thunderstorms :D

After those two items it gets a lot easier...

advice? Okay, don't run out of gas and don't fly into/under thunderstorms :D

After those two items it gets a lot easier...

Appreciate the advice, anything practical though? It would be great to get a straight answer!

Don't get hung up on your plan, be ready to dodge left or right 100 miles to avoid weather so know what other fuel stops you have flanking your path. Be ready to land and let weather pass you by as well, that's often the best way through a line.

Are you looking for advice on Self Serve fuel or the entire trip. If its the fuel , like henning said just follow the instructions and don't forget the ground wire ( clip it to the exhaust pipe)

If your looking for general info then just plan a large XC as though its a series of smaller XCs, Don't be hesitant to use ATC for flight following it may make you more comfortable. Also post where you are going. There are lots of folks here from all over the US that will be happy to give you some local knowledge.

I am tying my plane down outside for three days, besides tying it down anything else I should do?

This time of year, cowl plugs to keep nesting birds out are a good idea.

Cover the plane if you have a cover, otherwise put high value items like a portable gps out of sight - in the back, under a towel. Common sense like parking your car on the street overnight.

Chock the wheels and leave the brakes off.

-Skip

If you don't have window covers, make a set. You will need some newspaper or butcher paper (for making patterns, hold the paper on the window and trace the edge with your fingernail), scotch tape (for making larger patterns if a window is larger than a single sheet of newsprint), some scissors (for cutting pattern and reflective foil) a sharpie (to trace the pattern on the foil.)

The silver reflective material can be bought at Lowes for less than $50/roll. One roll is sufficient for three airplanes.

Take a simple tool bag including those necessary to decowl the airplane, access the battery and check tire pressures along with a few screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches (to tighten things that are loose are loosen things that are tight) a spare key taped inside an inspection cover, a coil of rope if you need to fabricate your own tie-down. I carry a small roll of duct tape, electrical tape and scotch tape and several magic markers to mark charts if I'm unfamiliar with the territory.

And a few of the squeeze-type paper clips to make sunshades by clipping a chart to the sunvisor. I carry a full-size $2 clip-board stored vertically between the seats. Handy for all sorts of things including tray table. If high-wing, throw a folding step stool in the bag compartment.

Im taking my first true trip as a private pilot and just looking for some general advice on traveling.

I have only had full service fuel, some have said that self service pumps are hard to figure out....are they? Any tips when using the pumps in terms of general courtesy?

Last edited:
Lots of advice to be given and lessons to be learned.
You asked about fueling tips ... here are just a few courtesies.

Don't be a pump hog!
- If there are multiple (often dual) pumps, park so as to allow a second plane to get in and out. Similarly, park so that you can still get out if a second plane comes in (and parks in a reasonable manner). For example, if you see that you'd need what would become that second plane's spot to make a u-turn out of the pumps (say, around pumps at an island, with one serving one side and one serving the other), make the u-turn before you park so that you can pull straight out when you're done.
- While parked at the pumps, don't dawdle in the terminal building (or at the pumps) if there are others waiting or approaching (listen to the radio, CTAF is often audible in the terminal/FBO - are others approaching to land? they may want fuel). Take care of the refueling and move your plane, then take care of your flight planning, kibbitzing, etc.
- Similarly, don't start up and idle at the pumps while you take care of your pre-flight stuff ... be prepared to move away from the pumps and out of the way as soon as you start up.
- To go with these Get Out of the Way tips ... sometimes, home-based planes like to fuel after their flights, before being put away; and, sometimes these pilots will skip that task if the pumps LOOK busy (even IF the pilots at the pumps are otherwise willing to move their planes). So, when you hear/see planes that might be looking for fuel (ie, the airport isn't totally dead), it's a courtesy to move your plane from the pumps.
- Water settles out of fuel quickly. (Try shaking up a jar of avgas and water some time to see for yourself.) You don't need to wait to sump your tanks.
- Mind your propwash - pay attention to what is or will be behind you.
- If you ask for a receipt, take it. Otherwise, the next guy has his receipt, your receipt, and the half-dozen preceding guys' receipts all flying out of the dispenser.

Oh, and if you're going to be stopped awhile (parking your plane in the heat of the day), if possible, refuel just before you depart. Otherwise, the fuel from your full tanks will likely spill out of the vents as things heat up during the day.

Thanks guys!

I am planning on making a fuel stop at KTEW in central Michigan, according to Airnav it is the cheapest fuel in all of Michigan....anybody have some experience at this place?

I've never been to TEW or anywhere close, but I would give you this advice in using it for a fuel stop. Airnav is a great source of info for fuel bargains, and some of the out of the way places are truly gems. The comments are generally very helpful in getting a feel for the place. I'd be cautious with this one because there is only one comment posted, and it's from 2009.

I personally would only count on this as a fuel stop if I personally called and spoke to someone there within a day of my arrival. I would verify that the pump works, and that fuel is available.

If you do go there, take a minute and post a current comment on Airnav.

Jon

Thanks guys!

I am planning on making a fuel stop at KTEW in central Michigan, according to Airnav it is the cheapest fuel in all of Michigan....anybody have some experience at this place?

Not sure, never been to KTEW.

Don't know where you're going, but seriously cheap fuel and awesome, small town aviation hospitality can be had to the north at Clare Municipal 48D.

Call at least 10nm out and, if the manager is in, he'll ask number on board and have warm cookies waiting for you. He will also offer ice cream - sundae or malt (w actual malt).

The terminal building has showers available, w fluffy towels as I recall. Courtesy car too.

And, there is complimentary bottled water in the fridge at the SS pump.

Oh, and a Clare Muni photo opp as well... Say cheese!

Don't know where you're going, but seriously cheap fuel and awesome, small town aviation hospitality can be had to the north at Clare Municipal 48D.

Call at least 10nm out and, if the manager is in, he'll ask number on board and have warm cookies waiting for you. He will also offer ice cream - sundae or malt (w actual malt).
Yep, 48D is one of the two or three friendliest airports in Michigan. (We both know which one is #1 though, right Liz? ;))

I haven't been there in ages, but unfortunately according to Airnav their 100LL isn't all that cheap any more (latest $5.70). I was at KIKW a couple of weeks ago and it's still $5.15. KIKW is another very friendly place, good courtesy car, but no ice cream or cookies. :(

Appreciate the advice, anything practical though? It would be great to get a straight answer!

Well, advising to not run out of gas or get swatted out of the sky is pretty practical where I come from. It is a bit basic but practical...

If you don't have window covers, make a set. You will need some newspaper or butcher paper (for making patterns, hold the paper on the window and trace the edge with your fingernail), scotch tape (for making larger patterns if a window is larger than a single sheet of newsprint), some scissors (for cutting pattern and reflective foil) a sharpie (to trace the pattern on the foil.)

The silver reflective material can be bought at Lowes for less than $50/roll. One roll is sufficient for three airplanes.

Remember to cover/wrap the edges of the bubble reflective material with duct tape - that way the edges don't rip, don't scratch the windows, and make the window shades a bit sturdier.

We haven't found it necessary, and after making numerous sets as complimentary items for shop customers have seen no evidence of problems. YMMV. I have used them repeatedly on a new windshield without any evidence of scratching. YMMV.

Remember to cover/wrap the edges of the bubble reflective material with duct tape - that way the edges don't rip, don't scratch the windows, and make the window shades a bit sturdier.

I usually try to call the FBO the day before the flight to verify fuel price an availability. Nothing like stopping for gas and they don't have any!:mad2: also don't get hung up on using a stop with the lowest fuel price, keep a couple alternates in mind, just in case. ;) If you're not comfortable with SS fuel, and don't want to make a mistake or look lost in front of passengers, get full serve it's not that much more and you will have one less thing to worry about on your first trip!:D Oh yeah, enjoy!!:D:D

The best practical advice that I can give a new PP before taking their first real trip is to plan extra time (up to a day or two) on either end of your trip. Also, prepare your passengers in advance for the chance of weather related delays. If you HAVE to be there at 8 AM on Monday, be prepared to leave Sunday if necessary. Traveling by small airplane is incredibly rewarding...but you have to be ready to change your plans as conditions change. Don't fall victim to get-there-itis.

Even though the chance is high that you're a Buckeye.... Here's a few things for you:
Don't sweat the trip, enjoy it. It's really pretty simple. Not much different that driving in my eyes. Check the weather before you leave and have a list of possible fuels stops with you. If weather pops up along the way, decide to fly around or land and wait it out. The sky is not falling and it's not that difficult. Use your chart info to provide situational awareness. Low ceilings are not the end of the world as long as you're at least at legal altitude and you are aware of any potential obstructions ahead of you. I flew from gulf shores to West Michigan a couple of weeks ago and never made it above 2500 msl, below 2000 most of the time. The headwinds aloft any higher were too much for me to want to contend with. The trip was wonderful and surprisingly smooth for being so low on a hot day.

Here's some fuel stop options for you:

KAZO - $5.25, ask controller for taxi directions to the self serve pumps (they are not at the FBO). There is a very nice museum on the field complete with an SR71. You can park at the museum if you're planning to check it out. Controller will also provide taxi instructions to parking there.

61D - $5.65, good restaurant on field. Runway is 2650X50. Don't know what you're flying or how you'll be loaded so that might play into deciding if this place as an option.

KFPK - $5.35, closest to being on course for you assuming you're flying towards KTOL to end around Lake Erie. The price was old so I'd call the FBO to confirm price. I don't believe there's much there besides fuel.

KRMY - $5.35, probably the next closest to being on course for you. Nice runway and SS pumps. Not much else on field.

9D9 - $5.64, my home field. Courtesy car available with prior notification to the airport manager. Nice brew pub in town with fantastic wood grilled pizzas. Most everything on their menu is good. Also 2 authentic Mexican places in town. 1 is definitely better than the other. If you decide on 9D9 let me know if you want Mexican and I'll get you directions to the better one.

Y70 & 6D6 - neither has SS fuel and I wouldn't recommend them as options because of that.

I second the suggestion of calling the FBO before you go to verify fuel and times. Nothing like getting to a field to find out the FBO closes at 3:00 on Saturdays (ask me how I know).

ah geez, spend the extra 25 cents a gallon and let the ramp rats pump the fuel.

Having just completed a 1700 nm trip as a fairly novice PP:

1. I concur with the advice to call ahead regarding fuel. At some smaller fields, it's not that uncommon for them to run out.

2. Check AirNav.com. If you're a ForeFlight user, check the comments for a particular field, which can be enlightening.

3. If your destination is in an area where hail or high winds are a possibility, ask if the FBO has the ability to hangar your plane temporarily if needed. And, find out if they'll do it on their own, or if you have to call and ask. One FBO during my trip commented that they'd be happy to do it, but by policy, would not do so without specific instructions from the pilot, even if it's 2 a.m.

4. Use flight following.

5. Carry a couple extra bottles of engine oil.

6. Don't top off the fuel at night if you're not going to fly early the next morning and it's going to be hot the next day. Yes, I know this from experience.

7. Be flexible.

8. It'll be a blast. Have fun.

Don't plan stops for fuel at minimums. Allow for take-off to someplace that really does have fuel, or where the self serve pump actually is working.

Don't plan stops for fuel at minimums. Allow for take-off to someplace that really does have fuel, or where the self serve pump actually is working.

I'd suggest letting your bladder determine fuel stops for you. Even a Cessna 172 will go four hours with a minimal (30 minute day) reserve. I need a pee/stretch every two hours. Your passengers may not last even that long without a stretch.

Of course, do plan your fuel, and if a miracle happens and your bladder takes the day off and the kids in the back seat keep themselves occupied for hours, land with at least an hour's reserve in case you do need to hunt for fuel.

Someone did a very good write-up on pump etiquette. A lot of it is "common" sense. Others need the pump: get in, get your gas, and get out of the way.

Regarding fuel prices, 100ll.com is good and airnav.com has a fuel planning feature - not perfect but helpful.

http://www.100ll.com/

http://www.airnav.com/fuel/

When I went "far away" for the first time, I called the locals. I looked up the airport, called the FBO (RE: parking fees, landing fees, fuel, etc). When on the phone with them I asked how many flight schools and CFI's were at the airport. I called both schools, each had people more than happy to help me. They even offered to be my "call" the morning of - you know, call them and say "so how is the weather over there?"

I thanked them, when there, by stopping by their little school and buying a small item (charts, CO detector, etc). I met local pilots and planned my climb out for going home - there were surrounding mountains and locals told me an aiming point to use (huge smoke stacks) that wasn't too far from my planned heading.... that would give my little 150 enough time to get to altitude before turning on course.

Asking on POA is great but asking the people there, who know the area, is even better.

I self fueled my entire training (but haven't since). If you feel it is important to learn, go to your airport days / weeks in advance (call first). Have them take you with them when they fuel the plane. If your airport has fuel trucks or whatever, drive to a local airport near you that has self serve pumps and watch the pilots do it.

I learned how to do that on my long solo cross country. We have a fuel truck at KPAO (self serve as well, so I could have gone that route -- just didn't think of it).

It's straightforward if you read the instructions, with one exception. At least for the pump I used at Fresno Chandler, it takes a firm push to get the nozzle to seat in its holder, and the pump won't turn off until you do so.

After I fooled around with it for a few minutes, someone from the avionics shop came out to help. I figured it out just as he was offering a hand.

Not everyone has the foresight Kimberly Anne does. One of my colleagues (who flies out of the same club I do) recently got surprised with a ramp fee for his $100 hamburger trip to KMRY. He ended up buying fuel from them to avoid it; fuel is reimbursible by the club up to the local PAO price, and fortunately for him, he had taken the Archer out there (it's only fueled to the "tabs" by the truck, unlike all the Cessnas, so it had room for 14 gallons of fuel at takeoff, probably 20 at landing). KMRY is barely far enough from KPAO to qualify as cross-country, so he wouldn't have had capacity for a minimum fuel purchase in a club Cessna.

I plan / organize for my real job so it is second nature. Heck I even call businesses / restaurants in my personal life to be sure they still exist - and to ask questions. You never know in this day and age.

Back