Some thoughts.

Discussion in 'Technical Corner' started by Henning, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Henning

Henning Ejection Handle Pulled

Display name:
    iHenning
    I had a rambling thought on the redboard that went like this:
    That got me really thinking, how difficult/expensive and more importantly, used, would a website be where people list thier intended flights or availability for flights. Stricktly a pilot network, "Here I am". Obviously you can't compete with the airlines. Can the FAA be cajouled in anyway of allowing this to happen? I think I could get something through. Personally, I'd rather hitch along for 2 days and 4-6 planes and be comfortable sometimes, just enjoy the view, and I remember giving line and counter kids last second rides home and stuff, usually nice to have some company.

2. Dave Krall CFII

Dave Krall CFII En-Route

Display name:
    Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
    The net would be a good place to start to find out for sure. The odds of going crosscountry USA on any kind of "schedule" will be unfavorable in that type of system. I think there is a site out there already to a similar cause that I just scanned last week but can't remember the name !

3. Brian Austin

Brian Austin En-Route

Display name:
    Brian Austin
    You mean like this?

http://www.pilotsharetheride.com/

The guy that started it is a friend of Greg Brown's, the aviation author and columnist, who told me about it. He's a local AZ resident (both Greg and Baldy, who runs the site).

4. Skip Miller

Skip Miller En-Route

Display name:
    Skip Miller
    Unless there is a sea-change of thinking at the FAA, I don't think the pilots could post intended flights on this board. That sounds like "holding out" to me. It is less of a problem if the passengers "hold out" - the burden is then on the pilot to prove he was going anyway.

I hope to be proved wrong on this but I think the FAA will find many ways to kill the idea. Back when I was in the service I flew coast to coast several times on military standby. More or less the same idea - you never know your schedule until you board the plane. Not a bad way to go if you don't care about getting there at a certain time!

-Skip

5. Brian Austin

Brian Austin En-Route

Display name:
    Brian Austin
    When this topic came up on the AOPA forums, I notified Baldy of Pilot Share the Ride about the same concern that someone else brought up. He sent me an e-mail back saying he had run everything through AOPA for advice and clarification and came back with a thumbs up.

I realize that it hardly clears the way but someone looked at it.

6. Dave Krall CFII

Dave Krall CFII En-Route

Display name:
    Dave Krall CFII SEL SES

Doesn't sound like "holding out" to me.
    I and many others across the USA have juggled schedules and post-poned &/or bumped forward proposed pleasure flights so that all of the expense sharing flight participants could make the flight. There's nothing against that in the regs is there ?

7. Skip Miller

Skip Miller En-Route

Display name:
    Skip Miller
    I think posting a note on a public web page saying "I am willing to fly you to Fort Lauderdale in the first two weeks of February" is holding out.

-Skip

8. Dave Krall CFII

Dave Krall CFII En-Route

Display name:
    Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
    In the above statement, is the pilot doing it for free or what ? Seems like too little info to be of real use in just that one sentence.

If it were me, I'd certainly go into the details of mutual sharing of expenses for sure as that is a key component to the success and legality of the whole program.

9. poadeleted20

poadeleted20 Deleted

I sent the FAA a query on the "holding out" issue as regards that pilotsharetheride web site. The FAA Eastern Region Counsel said (I've got the letter here somewhere, but can't lay my hands on it at this instant) it is essentially legal as long as the pilot was going there at that time anyway. However, she also said that it would be very easy to run afoul of those rules if you aren't careful, i.e., you don't change destinations or dates to accommodate a passenger, or make a trip you would not otherwise have made. Caveat aviator. As for me, I don't go there.