Some real IFR!

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
OK, enough posting about political crap and various ponderings about flying... Time to post about some actual flights!

And, for this one, actual was the word. 1.5 hours of it! :yes: I'm trying to get some actual whenever possible now that I have the IR so that 1) I can keep the skills up and 2) so I can enjoy flying IFR without a squawking CFII in the right seat. :rolleyes:

This was only my second flight in actual since getting my IR, and the last one was kind of a "just-to-get-the-ticket-wet" effort, since I had to climb to 7,000 feet to get in the tiny layer. This one, however, was the real deal. Madison wasn't too bad yet, but KSTE was looking like it might get pretty gloomy. I filed to KSTE at 4,000 with KCWA as my alternate, did the usual preflight dance, and launched into the wild gray yonder off runway 21 with a healthy crosswind.

After being vectored to the west of the airport to avoid all the arrivals on 18 during my climb, I was initially given a vector to intercept the airway, but almost immediately thereafter MSN warned me of some Level 2 returns in my path and offered vectors around it. I gratefully accepted.

The silence in the cockpit was pierced by the voice of my CFII... But it was through the radio, he was in N3421E with another student. :D

I had busted through a couple of clouds during the climb, but broke out long enough to watch the ominous dark gray monster I was being vectored around for a little bit before going into the muck for good.

After the lenghty departure (all the vectors probably took me on a 45nm or so path just to make the first 20nm of the trip), Madison advised me that they showed no further weather in my path and handed me off to Chicago Center.

At this point, I tuned the AWOS for STE: 3 miles, scattered layers at 800 and 1900, broken at 4300. I missed the temp/dp the first time through so I listened again. This time, the 1900 foot layer was broken. I knew I was expecting it to be even worse, but I also knew I was at 4000 MSL a ways out and still in solid IMC.

After a short time I was handed off to Minneapolis Center. It sounded like a quiet day, and they cleared me for "The approach" to STE almost right away. I'd never been given such a vague clearance before, so after I read it back I informed them that I'd be doing the VOR 21 approach.

Speaking of the approach, time to set up for it:

P - about 32 miles from STE
A - Got it already
I - Compass checks, altimeter 29.94
N - STE already tuned on both navs... But we want AUW on Nav2 in case of DME failure. Tune, Identify, Twist to the radial for the first intersection we'll use.
C - Talking to Center on #1, monitoring CTAF on #2.
A - OK, we're going to cross the VOR, fly outbound on the 025 radial to PESTY at 5 DME, start the timer, begin the descent to 2800, fly two minutes, procedure turn to the right, twist to 205, intercept the FAC, down to 2600, wait for PESTY at 5 DME, 5 T's and descent to 1600 until 2.1 DME. Non-DME mins 1600, DME mins 1580 circling, 1500 straight in. Miss straight ahead to 2800, then back to the VOR. Piece of cake (well, after briefing it about 3 times anyway...)
L - Pump on, switch tanks, landing light on.
L - Already got the clearance.

"Minnie Center" gave me a descent to 2800 and asked for a report inbound on the FAC. I thought, based on the earlier weather observation, that I might end up below the clouds at that point, but I lucked out - Nothing but gray.

After crossing STE, Center asked where I was. "Outbound to PESTY." They reiterated the call for a report inbound on the FAC. I almost forgot to twist the OBS to 205 from 025, but caught it in the last half of the 180 part of the procedure turn. Minnie center asked for another position report. (C'mon guys, I'm flying a slow plane here...)

Finally, the needle came alive and I turned inbound and reported to Center. They turned me loose. I switched to transmitting on CTAF and monitoring Center and gave a position report on CTAF.

Cross the fix, and down I go (Still in IMC too)... But not before double-checking, after my checkride incident! OK, 5 DME... I'm OK to descend... Really, I am! But only down to 1600 until I hit 2.1 DME!

I finally broke out at about 1800-1900 MSL (700-800 AGL). Ground contact, anyway. Still no sign of the airport. As I approached 2.1 DME, I began to wonder if I'd make it in. The weather had been deteriorating the entire time I was flying the approach. I finally saw the approach lights and the VASI after I was already a bit above it. A moment later, most of runway 21 and all of the intersecting 12/30 were in view, and I broke off to circle. Hey, those trees are big!

At this point it wasn't too much of an effort - When I began the circle-to-land maneuver, I basically just made a 90 degree right turn to enter a left downwind for 12. (The wind was going right down that runway at a pretty good clip.) I flipped the audio panel back to Com1 for a second, canceled IFR, turned base and final and landed. Success! :D

I walked inside and chatted with some folks for a bit. I was surprised at the number of people hanging around in the FBO in the evening on a crummy gray day, but it turned out there was a CAP meeting that night. I got a signature on my Wisconsin Airport Challenge form and headed back out to the plane.

It began to rain, so I ducked into the plane as quickly as I could. I fired up, taxied to the runway, did my runup, and called for my clearance. I got my clearance at :36 with a void time of :43. I pulled onto the runway at :37 and added power, only to be greeted by some roughness I didn't particularly like. I aborted the takeoff and quickly taxied back for a full-power runup. With the mixture an inch or two back from full rich, the roughness went away. Back onto the runway, and into the air.

This is where I made a scary mistake. Just as I was entering the muck, I realized that I hadn't looked at the Obstacle DP for STE. :hairraise: Two things led to this: Obstacle DP is on my checklist, but it's handwritten, as I hadn't had it on my checklist the last time I printed out a copy. The other thing is that I let the engine problem distract me, and the approaching void time rush me. If I hadn't been in a hurry and thinking about the engine so much, I probably would have pulled out the checklist one more time.

Luckily, I'm quite familiar with the terrain around STE as I drive through there once or twice a week. Also, being alone and having burned over an hour's fuel on the way up, the plane was climbing quite well. I kept it pointed up until reaching the MEA (only about a minute and a half) and breathed a sigh of relief. I thanked my bag of luck, and added another entry to the "Valuable lessons learned" column. :redface:

In the midst of all that, another plane had been looking for me on Minnie Center frequency. I'd been about 100-200 AGL at the time so I ignored the call for the moment, trying them back at a safer altitude. I didn't get either on the first try, but Center answered on the second try. They kept asking for position and altitude reports, and I found out why a couple of minutes later as a freight dog checked in out of STE. Center didn't get radar contact on me until about 3500 MSL.

Underway back to MSN at 5000, I was solidly in the muck and it was mostly smooth... Until about 38 from STE, when there was a sudden lurch and I was stuck in moderate turbulence for about 5 miles. The worst bump put me in a sudden 40-degree bank to the right, and I silently thanked my CFII for all the unusual attitude practice.

As quickly as the bumps came, they went completely away and I was back in smooth air. The rest of the time I spent on Center frequencies was fairly uneventful.

After being handed off to Madison, I was advised to expect vectors to a visual approach to 18. ATIS was reporting 6SM BR FEW028 BKN043 OVC070. However, a minute later I heard them advising a plane on approach into Morey that there was a cell almost on top of Morey. I pulled out the ILS 18 and began briefing it just in case. When I was nearly done, Approach told me that I should expect the ILS to 18 instead of the visual. Kudos again to my CFII for instilling good thought processes! :yes:

Eventually I was given a slight vector to line me up with the final approach course, WAY out. I was cleared to intercept the localizer at 5,000 feet and did so somewhere near the service volume limits.

I was also told to keep my speed up - I had two jets chasing me in on the approach! I flew the approach at 115 knots. Normally at MSN, when landing to the south the airlines use the ILS 18 and the bugsmashers, smaller corp jets, etc. use the ILS 21. However, the ILS 21 glideslope was OTS so they were trying to cram all of their traffic onto the same approach. They apparently did an excellent job, as I didn't hear any holds and vectors given were minimal.

I broke out of the clouds at 3500 feet and saw the shimmering lights of De Forest but no sign of the airport. Shortly thereafter, I spotted the PAPI and then the rest of the lights (there are a lot of them - TDZ lights, centerline lights, etc - but they were on low intensity).

I screamed down toward the runway as quickly as possible, then pulled power on about a 1/2 mile final and held the glideslope until the white arc before adding flaps (one... two... three notches). It doesn't take much to dissipate energy on an Archer with its wheel pants off, so I still managed a reasonable speed once I got to the flare, and got the plane off at Charlie.

After shutdown I headed inside for a moment and was about to leave when I noticed our other Archer had taxied up. He'd arrived VFR from the opposite direction (where the weather was better) and just as he shut down, the skies opened up. :rofl: We had a good laugh about that together while waiting it out in the FBO, and finally it slacked off and another day of flying fun was over as we both got back to the real world.

Great story, man! DP thing was scary, but man that sounds like a lot of fun.

I gotta get my IR.

flyingcheesehead said:
After being vectored to the west of the airport to avoid all the arrivals on 18 during my climb, I was initially given a vector to intercept the airway, but almost immediately thereafter MSN warned me of some Level 2 returns in my path and offered vectors around it. I gratefully accepted.

I had busted through a couple of clouds during the climb, but broke out long enough to watch the ominous dark gray monster I was being vectored around for a little bit before going into the muck for good.

After the lenghty departure (all the vectors probably took me on a 45nm or so path just to make the first 20nm of the trip), Madison advised me that they showed no further weather in my path and handed me off to Chicago Center.

Most approach radars are pretty good at showing precip and some controllers actually know how to use it and will do a good job routing you around the TRW. But don't count on it, and be sure to ask for that service when you know there is convective activity in the area. I know that part of your mission was to get some cloud time, but the more you can stay visual around TRW the better and a different altitude that kept you between layers might have been available?

Cross the fix, and down I go (Still in IMC too)... But not before double-checking, after my checkride incident!

Told ya you would be remembering that for quite a while!

I flipped the audio panel back to Com1 for a second, canceled IFR, turned base and final and landed. Success! :D

Sounds like you might have cancelled in IMC, watch out for that trap. You shouldn't cancel in the air unless you have VFR visibilities (I think you did) and VFR cloud separation min's (doesn't sound like you did), and are flying the VFR pattern altitude. Also you didn't mention activating the airport lights on the CTAF, something that's easy to forget but should be done day or night.

I walked inside and chatted with some folks for a bit. I was surprised at the number of people hanging around in the FBO in the evening on a crummy gray day, but it turned out there was a CAP meeting that night. I got a signature on my Wisconsin Airport Challenge form and headed back out to the plane.

You should get extra points for coming in IFR, eh?

This is where I made a scary mistake. Just as I was entering the muck, I realized that I hadn't looked at the Obstacle DP for STE. :hairraise: Two things led to this: Obstacle DP is on my checklist, but it's handwritten, as I hadn't had it on my checklist the last time I printed out a copy. The other thing is that I let the engine problem distract me, and the approaching void time rush me. If I hadn't been in a hurry and thinking about the engine so much, I probably would have pulled out the checklist one more time.

IMO and IME, distractions are a serious threat to SPIFR. I wish I had a cure but I don't. Checklists come to mind, but who's to say I won't forget a checklist item or the whole list when distracted? One thing I've tried to hammer into my head is to recheck everything if I recognize that I've been distracted. Of course the distraction may make me forget to do that as well.:( Also I must admit that I'm not too fanatical about ODPs in the flatlands, especially in areas I'm familiar with. Gonna have to try changing that attitude I think.:redface:

I broke out of the clouds at 3500 feet and saw the shimmering lights of De Forest but no sign of the airport. Shortly thereafter, I spotted the PAPI and then the rest of the lights (there are a lot of them - TDZ lights, centerline lights, etc - but they were on low intensity).

Lights again! It's a good idea to ask the tower to turn up the approach and/or runway lights if you are in the clouds on approach or if the ground vis is less than 5 miles. At least for now you're not paying the electric bill.

Sounds like a good flight all around. You got some good experience, learned a couple things and had a good time!:yes:.

Excellent story. KSTE is untowered? One thing to remember about lighting, at untowered remember to turn it on or up. Review that PCL instructions. I was coming into Valparasio on an icing divert a coup eof years back and was on the ILS. Valpo is untowered and when I broke out I could not find the field even though I was on the glide slope and localizer. I finally saw it an landed and then had the DOH! moment that I was to turn the lights on.

One of my longest actual instrument flights was a trip from Portland - Medford - Seattle - Portland. Total flight was 6.4. Actual on that trip was 5.4. Good flight, a little bumpy, a little ice at 10,000 that required a descent to 7,000. All in all, a good flight to have under my belt. I have 34 hours actual thanks to the Northwest and 42 simulated. Almost even.

lancefisher said:
Sounds like you might have cancelled in IMC, watch out for that trap. You shouldn't cancel in the air unless you have VFR visibilities

If I'm still in the soup at the FAF, I don't cancel until I'm on the ground.

Kent, please try to give a little more detail in future posts. Thank you.

lancefisher said:
Most approach radars are pretty good at showing precip and some controllers actually know how to use it and will do a good job routing you around the TRW. But don't count on it, and be sure to ask for that service when you know there is convective activity in the area. I know that part of your mission was to get some cloud time, but the more you can stay visual around TRW the better and a different altitude that kept you between layers might have been available?

Yeah, I know... This was mostly a case of the forecast being wrong. FSS said clouds, no precip at all. I wonder how long before I decide a 396 is essential.

I actually was still visual when they began to vector me around it. Didn't look very menacing, I wish I could get the radar picture from that day.

Told ya you would be remembering that for quite a while!

Yep! Hopefully forever!

Sounds like you might have cancelled in IMC, watch out for that trap. You shouldn't cancel in the air unless you have VFR visibilities (I think you did) and VFR cloud separation min's (doesn't sound like you did), and are flying the VFR pattern altitude.

I understand the first part, but... Well, heck, let's use this approach as an example. Field elevation is 1107, circling mins are 1580/1600 (DME/none) or approx. 500 AGL. Assuming TPA is 1000 AGL, and let's say the clouds are anywhere between 1001 and 1500 AGL. It would still be OK to cancel IFR when circling at 1600, wouldn't it? I don't understand why flying at TPA should be a consideration.

Maybe soon I can post about an IFR flight where I don't mess something up. :rolleyes:

Also you didn't mention activating the airport lights on the CTAF, something that's easy to forget but should be done day or night.

Whoops... I actually did do that. Forgot to put it in the post, though... Maybe that was the reason for Ben's comment. ;) :rofl:

You should get extra points for coming in IFR, eh?

Hey, yeah! I'll have to pester the rules committee on that one...

IMO and IME, distractions are a serious threat to SPIFR. I wish I had a cure but I don't. Checklists come to mind, but who's to say I won't forget a checklist item or the whole list when distracted? One thing I've tried to hammer into my head is to recheck everything if I recognize that I've been distracted. Of course the distraction may make me forget to do that as well.:(

Yeah. And then on top of that, sometimes rechecking everything becomes a distraction in itself! BTDT. :dunno: Live and learn, I guess.

I've noticed that I have to kind of shuffle things around when I'm at an uncontrolled field. For example, since I normally fly out of a class C, "Clearance" is part of the after-start checklist, right after "ATIS." At an uncontrolled field, it should be done as part of the pre-takeoff checklist. For now, I end up deferring things and then going back through all the checklists and cleaning up all the deferred stuff. Maybe I need to change my checklists a bit.

Also I must admit that I'm not too fanatical about ODPs in the flatlands, especially in areas I'm familiar with. Gonna have to try changing that attitude I think.:redface:

Next time you're at MSN, request 21 for takeoff (that's probably what you'll get anyway if they're landing to the south), let your heading drift 10 degrees right of runway heading, and fail an engine for good measure (and since your Baron climbs too well to make this a good demo otherwise. ;)) You'll be a believer. It also shows how important accuracy is, because the ODP for that runway is, IIRC, runway heading (209) to 3200 and then on course. I've even had the TRACON ask if I saw the tower when I was following the ODP, even the published procedure gets you close enough to make the controllers nervous.

Lights again! It's a good idea to ask the tower to turn up the approach and/or runway lights if you are in the clouds on approach or if the ground vis is less than 5 miles. At least for now you're not paying the electric bill.

I had no problem seeing them, it's just that the PAPI was saying "HEY YOU!" and the runway lights were saying "Yeah, we're here too." ;) It only took about a second to see everything once the PAPI appeared. Good advice though... I was at the airport one night when there were some serious LIFR conditions and talked to a 182 pilot who missed his first ILS and made it in the second time after asking tower to turn the lights on high. He was the last plane that made it in that night, so he's lucky that he had enough time for a second chance.

Sounds like a good flight all around. You got some good experience, learned a couple things and had a good time!:yes:.

:yes:

Now, to go do some more. If I'm lucky there'll be some good bad weather on Sunday. :D Mike A, I'll take ya with if you're available! :yes:

Thanks for that great write up! I sure enjoy reading posts like this. I have flown IFR without another IFR pilot on board, but I haven't done a SOLO IFR trip; I need to do that, yet....

Troy Whistman said:
Thanks for that great write up! I sure enjoy reading posts like this. I have flown IFR without another IFR pilot on board, but I haven't done a SOLO IFR trip; I need to do that, yet....

I have done solo IFR in IMC just once now. Most of the time I had a pax or another pilot. It is a bit different when it is just you. I made sure that I was better orgainzed than for any other flight. The best part was having the seat next to me to spread stuff out on!

flyingcheesehead said:
Maybe soon I can post about an IFR flight where I don't mess something up. :rolleyes:

OK, wait a minute. Duh.

I cancelled IFR while circling to land at 1600 feet. Clouds, as I posted, were at around 1800-1900 feet, BUT...

At that point I was in class G airspace and easily met the 1 mile, clear of clouds requirements for VFR. So I didn't mess up after all. :p

flyingcheesehead said:
OK, wait a minute. Duh.

I cancelled IFR while circling to land at 1600 feet. Clouds, as I posted, were at around 1800-1900 feet, BUT...

At that point I was in class G airspace and easily met the 1 mile, clear of clouds requirements for VFR. So I didn't mess up after all. :p

Other than what would you have done if you had gone missed. While you may have had the airport in site something still could have happened that would have forced you back up into the clag. In this case it would have been better to wait until you were on the ground. Or else you would have been having to circle in MVFR at best trying to maintain VFR.

BTW when you finally think you have had an IFR flight where you did not make one mistake be afraid, that means you are missing something. No one is perfect!!

flyingcheesehead said:
OK, wait a minute. Duh.

I wasn't anywhere near certain you busted VFR mins, just wanted to point out the trap. Given that you weren't certain until much later says you hadn't thought it through though. Folks have been violated for doing that and it can be tempting, especially if you know there's someone else waiting to fly the approach or take off IFR. My rule of thumb is to cancel in the air on a visual approach or if it's very VMC under the clouds. Otherwise you've just thrown away some potentially useful options. And if there is somebody behind you wanting the approach, just relay through him from the ground for the cancellation, he'll be glad to oblige. With someone waiting to depart I might try cancelling once I'm certain I'll make it in which means on a mile or less final etc.

smigaldi said:
Other than what would you have done if you had gone missed. While you may have had the airport in site something still could have happened that would have forced you back up into the clag.

Yep, that is why I stick with the IMC at FAF, cancel on the ground.

I enjoyed reading the story (and I definitely appreciated the details;)). I'm really immersed in the "book learnin'" part of my IR training now. Real flying stuff starts June 30 and I can't wait. I even went and bought a copy of PA/WV terminal procedures just to thumb through and think about.

Still, when I read posts like yours I sometimes think there's no flippin' way I can possibly handle all that stuff! I know, comes with practice. Posts like your's help give me a flavor for real-world IFR flying. Thanks.

flyingcheesehead said:
I understand the first part, but... Well, heck, let's use this approach as an example. Field elevation is 1107, circling mins are 1580/1600 (DME/none) or approx. 500 AGL. Assuming TPA is 1000 AGL, and let's say the clouds are anywhere between 1001 and 1500 AGL. It would still be OK to cancel IFR when circling at 1600, wouldn't it? I don't understand why flying at TPA should be a consideration.

Actually Kent I wouldn't say you " messed anything up" just created some good learning experienes.

Regarding Lance's comments I had a bit if a different take. It did not appear to me that you cancelled in IMC but rather while circling to land in VMC. My concern would be that if you did have to do a go around for anything from a microburst to a deer on the runway you could have had to go missed and pop back up into IMC. So I may not have cancelled until I was on the ground.

Kent this was a fantasitc write up and I really enjoyed and and am a bit envious. Great Job.

Bill Jennings said:
Yep, that is why I stick with the IMC at FAF, cancel on the ground.

Bill,

I like that. Thanks!

Now, I just have to figure out how to not forget to cancel. I quit filing VFR flight plans after about the third time in a row that I forgot to close. :redface:

OK, it is REALLY time to modify my checklists now...

flyingcheesehead said:
Bill,

I like that. Thanks!

Now, I just have to figure out how to not forget to cancel.

That can be a tough one when you are used to flying to/from towered fields. Worst case is landing at night after the tower closes at your home base and forgetting all about closing because your habit at that field is to expect the tower to close it for you (BTDT). I have generally found that if I form a plan before I start the approach about how I will cancel after landing, I seem to be able to remember it.

So far I've only forgotten twice (that I can remember). The first was after an approach where my (only) engine quit while completing the procedure turn in IMC and snow (after all the excitement I just plain forgot all about cancelling). The second was the landing after tower closes deal, late at night. Both were a long time ago so I'm probably due for another.:no:

yikes lance. i take it you managed to glide to the airport? got details?

flyersfan31 said:
I enjoyed reading the story (and I definitely appreciated the details;)). I'm really immersed in the "book learnin'" part of my IR training now. Real flying stuff starts June 30 and I can't wait. I even went and bought a copy of PA/WV terminal procedures just to thumb through and think about.

Excellent! That's a good start.

Having your own plane will help too, it's a lot easier to fly the same plane during your IR Training. Something you can do to help right off the bat, even before you go up with a CFII, is to figure out all of the power settings and configurations you'll use. IIRC you have a fixed-gear baby Beech, so you could fill in the blanks the following table:

table1.jpg

Here's a filled-out version of the chart that I use for an Archer:

table2.jpg

In case anyone wonders where I got the SuperArcher, note the conditions: 200 undergross and -3C. Ahh, I love winter flying! Of course, you want to keep track of the conditions you did your configs in, that way you can adjust for varying DA, weight, CG, etc. My power settings only change by 100-150 rpm in summer, but the Vy climb rate sure goes to hell.

Anyway, when I do the above chart with a CS prop I use MP"/RPM under the power column and on complex planes I add a "gear" column too. I keep the above table on my checklist, but these days it's memorized, at least for the Archers because that's what I usually fly IFR.

By testing to see what your plane does and memorizing the chart for your plane, you'll spend a lot less time messing with power settings and the plane will be MUCH easier to control. Set it and forget it. Well, don't forget it, but it's a lot easier to set, monitor, and make a small adjustment than to just guess and be constantly adjusting.

Still, when I read posts like yours I sometimes think there's no flippin' way I can possibly handle all that stuff! I know, comes with practice. Posts like your's help give me a flavor for real-world IFR flying. Thanks.

You're welcome. The IR certainly requires a lot of knowledge and a lot of varied skills, but it will make you a MUCH better pilot, make your plane more useful, increase your understanding of the National Airspace System, and after kicking your empennage will be very rewarding too... Enjoy! :yes:

In fact I was playing around last weekend working on just that - getting the settings/airspeed/fpm info I'll need. Man does that make a difference in the precision of my flying! All good stuff.

I LOVE FLYING! WHY DIDN'T I START THIS 20yrs AGO??????? In 2.5hrs I'll be 40 -- think of all the wasted years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh, wait, I didn't have the $$$$ 20yrs ago...

flyersfan31 said:
I LOVE FLYING! WHY DIDN'T I START THIS 20yrs AGO??????? In 2.5hrs I'll be 40 -- think of all the wasted years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh, wait, I didn't have the $$$$ 20yrs ago...

When I was going to school and working the line at MWC for $8.50/hr, I never once heard anybody say "Gee, I wish I would have waited longer to start flying." As it was, I was awfully close to actually being a starving student (nothing like trying to eat on the money in your change jar) and it would have taken me a few more years to graduate, and I'd be wishing the whole time that I could fly.

So, I'm doing a job that generally garners much less respect and it makes me enough money to fly as much as I want. (Well, almost. ;)) I'll be going back to school soon, hopefully with a big enough pile of money in savings that I can still do some flying (and I'm hoping to be a CFI by then too) and I'll graduate about the same time I would have had I remained a starving student.

Do whatcha gotta... And I gotta fly.

tonycondon said:
yikes lance. i take it you managed to glide to the airport? got details?

I've posted this story before. The engine quit because a fuel tank vent had iced over and the resulting vacuum in the tank sucked the bladder up to the top of the wing. That caused the fuel gauge to read something like 3/4 full even though it was nearly empty and I had selected that tank (this was in a Bonanza with 5 tanks) as part of my pre-approach checklist (select fullest tank). Fortunately I had attended a BPPP program soon after getting the plane and they drummed into me the mantra of "if the engine quits, switch tanks and then try to figure out the problem". There were many tense seconds (seemd like about 10 minutes) of "this can't be happening" and "I wonder how the news report of the crash will read" but about the time the airspeed had decayed to the point where I was nibbling at a stall I switched to another tank and the engine fired right up. The rest of the approach was not my best but passable/successful, but in all the heart pounding / leg shaking excitement I did forget all about cancelling. The purpose of this trip was to deliver a rehabilitated bale eagle to an island in the great lakes and ATC managed to contact the park ranger we were with on his radio to let me know they were needing to know I was safely on the ground.

flyingcheesehead said:
Bill,

I like that. Thanks!

Now, I just have to figure out how to not forget to cancel. I quit filing VFR flight plans after about the third time in a row that I forgot to close. :redface:

OK, it is REALLY time to modify my checklists now...

The more I think about it, most FAF's are at a lower altitude than most missed hold altitudes, so really, what I SHOULD be doing is:
  1. Note the missed hold altitude.
  2. As you descent on the approach, if you're still in the goo at that missed hold altitude, you should not cancel until on the ground so you can be sure to get back to the missed hold fix without excitement.
Oh, I use printed (a la SureCheck, etc) checklists, but find a fine line Sharpie does a good job when you need to modify to personal tastes.

Back