Soloing a student

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
No matter how many I do, it's always a thrill to solo a new pilot! Despite some reservations on her part, my 19 yo student did a fabulous job today despite the tower messin' with her on every trip around the pattern! She was pretty pumped up on her return!

Congratulations Ashley B at KFCM!

Last edited:
Congrats. I could only imagine how great a feeling it has to be from the CFI standpoint.

A belated Congrats to both you and Ashley!

(P.S., don't forget to introduce her to the Ninety-Nines and Women in Aviation International, both of whom(?) offer some good scholarship opportunities!)

A belated Congrats to both you and Ashley!

(P.S., don't forget to introduce her to the Ninety-Nines and Women in Aviation International, both of whom(?) offer some good scholarship opportunities!)

I will mention those to her. She owns the C-150 we're training in, purchased with her father who's a private pilot. Having a personal training machine definitely helps!

Last edited:
Congratulations! I am a student myself and I am getting close to soloing. I am very very excited!

Congratulations to both of you! I'm not an instructor but I mentor students and I always am there to see them solo. I seem to get more excited about it than they do.

I wish I owned half of a plane (and my dad the other half)!

Congratulations to you and the young female student! We need more girl pilots, this is great!

Congratulations to you and the young female student! We need more girl pilots, this is great!

Now if I could just get her to finish studying for her written!

Good for you, and her! I soloed at 19 in a C-150 too. But it wasn't mine.

My CFI would have said the same thing. Maybe it's a thing with 19-year-old girls. :p

And boys! Went through the same scenario last summer with my 19 yo son!

But he did get it done and is a private pilot today.

BTW, I should connect you two so you could motivate her to study. She really wants the license but the written is a psychological hurdle for her.

Now if I could just get her to finish studying for her written!

My instructor has a rule that you can't solo a second time without passing the written. Works pretty damned well. After my solo, I took a few days off work, crammed, and within 3 weeks of solo I had passed the written. 90-something (forget the score since I thought I flunked and I freaked out and called my instructor immediately from the test center).

BTW, I should connect you two so you could motivate her to study. She really wants the license but the written is a psychological hurdle for her.

Sure, have her email me

( kimberlyanne546 at yahoo dot com )

or call my cell

( 7 0 7 7 9 9 6 3 1 4 )

if you'd like to.

Kimberly

Funny thing, I'm taking a college class (ground school) right now since I have forgotten a lot of the written stuff. That and I might one day want to get my FAA Ground Instructor Cert. Tonight in class we covered weather, last week the FARs, and next week we will need plotters, E6B's and calculators!

Funny thing, I'm taking a college class (ground school) right now since I have forgotten a lot of the written stuff. That and I might one day want to get my FAA Ground Instructor Cert. Tonight in class we covered weather, last week the FARs, and next week we will need plotters, E6B's and calculators!

Good for you. There are many pilots out there who do not take the initiative to stay current on basic ppl level knowlege.

Thanks for the contact info. I will pass it on to her.

It is good to review. I learned it for my Pvt, again for my comm, again for my CFI, yet again for ground instr (should have done it at same time), and now reviewing again for ATP! Some of it is finally sinking in! :)

As for the written, I won't progress to x-c training until written is done, but I will allow local solo....up to a point!

Back