Solo XC to N47

MDeitch1976

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MattCanFly
Has anyone been to N47? I was thinking about finishing up the last of my Solo XC this weekend, if the weather is OK. I was looking at Possibly N47. I have been to MQS a couple of times, and figured this is just a few more minutes of flying. Just want to make sure I fulfill all my hours, so I don't have to circle anywhere for time. Also, the FBO there has a full motion Redbird Flight Sim. I would like to check it out, and see what it is all about.

I just want my last Solo to be a memorable one. This will fulfill all the mandatory hours. Next will be the Testing phase.

Ah, yes -- Pottstown Muni. Don't fly through the steam cloud out of the cooling tower at the nuclear power plant next door (visibility and turbulence, not "glow in the dark" issues), but it's very useful navigational aid in finding the airport. And I'd call ahead to make sure the Redbird is available for viewing. No food on the airport, either.

I have a hangar at N47 with the little plane below in it. It's a nice little airport with a good FBO. If you PM me when you're coming, I'll take you to lunch if I can get away.

I know Ron's been to N47 as he flew up there in hs Cougar at the time, many moons ago to check me out in the Tiger.

The nuke plane cooling towers are actually closer to Heritage Field, KPTW, (formerly Pottstown Limerick) which is a few miles northeast of Pottstown Muni.

Could those be the towers I see from Bay Bridge W29 all the way down on the Eastern Shore when the viz is amazing? Nahh...I doubt it. I wonder what they are, though.

Could those be the towers I see from Bay Bridge W29 all the way down on the Eastern Shore when the viz is amazing? Nahh...I doubt it. I wonder what they are, though.

Possibly, if you're high enough. I've sen them from as far out as 55-60 miles at 3500msl.

The cooling towers up by Wilmington DE are a lot closer to W29.

The cooling towers up by Wilmington DE are a lot closer to W29.

That's probably them. I'll have to investigate next time I'm out, though...I have yet to head up North except one outing to Cecil County, Brandywine, Lancaster, and Delaware Airpark. That was fun :).

Ah, yes -- Pottstown Muni. Don't fly through the steam cloud out of the cooling tower at the nuclear power plant next door (visibility and turbulence, not "glow in the dark" issues), but it's very useful navigational aid in finding the airport. And I'd call ahead to make sure the Redbird is available for viewing. No food on the airport, either.

Maybe the cooling towers are good for gliders?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have a hangar at N47 with the little plane below in it. It's a nice little airport with a good FBO. If you PM me when you're coming, I'll take you to lunch if I can get away.

I will let you know. Thank you, I appreciate it. Not sure if this is going to be morning or afternoon when I depart. Need to make sure my instructor is OK with my plans. Of course I need to see what the weather is going to be doing.

I would also like to check out the redbird simulator, as I'm hoping to get my instrument rating sometime in the next year. Let us know how your plans go. Looks like rain later in the day.

When you call for the briefing they are nice enough to tell you about a light out on the cooling tower!

I would also like to check out the redbird simulator, as I'm hoping to get my instrument rating sometime in the next year. Let us know how your plans go. Looks like rain later in the day.

When you call for the briefing they are nice enough to tell you about a light out on the cooling tower!

I will keep you informed.

Is there more than one tower?

I will keep you informed.

Is there more than one tower?

2 towers, and you can't miss them like a couple others mentioned. Ptw vor is only a mile or so from the towers so you can't get lost on the way here!

Thank you Jay!

It has been so long. It doesn't even feel like I am going to be preparing for the Check Ride soon enough.

Like you had told me Jay, when we were discussing Sport License over PPL. You had said that a Man needs to see/feel progress. At this point, I can see the progress. If I went for the sport, I would be at this same juncture at some point in time.

I'm glad to "see" you're making progress. I was at FDK 2 weekends ago and thought about you. Very nice facility you have there.

Never been to the field, was right over it when I took few people to see the nuclear powerplant form the air. It's impossible to miss. Great visual reference, you can see it from pretty far. Taking off from KXLL, it's right there.

BTW, Academy of Aviation in KFRG has a Redbird full motion sim, and it's fairly open to scheduling. I took it for 2 hours to get my glass requirement done. Fun toy. Range of motion is pretty meh but does give you realistic feedback. Heads up, when they change wind on the instructor console, the thing WILL jolt you. In a nutshell, it's 6 screens running FSX, 2 screens below for all instruments, and typical hardware otherwise (yoke, throttle, mixture, flaps, trim, etc)

I'm glad to "see" you're making progress. I was at FDK 2 weekends ago and thought about you. Very nice facility you have there.

My aerodrome is GAI. You past me by about 18nm. I have only been there once since the new tower opened. When I was there, they were having trouble spotting planes.

Unable to fly to Pottstown today. Prog charts and briefer both stated Mod to Svr Turbulence on my route. My instructor wanted to send me eastward, but didn't want me to squeeze through the corridor first time by myself. I was going to have her take me through, and head into the Bay Bridge Airport. Then her student finally showed up 45 minutes late.
Probably could have done some maneuvers or something of the sort. However, after I knock out the XC we will be reviewing everything for the check ride.

I just came back from Allentown (20nm north of N47) myself. Good call on not going. Not sure about your route, but near Pottstown, visibility was crappy. Haze, no identifiable horizon. Even the power plant was hard to make out.

Thank you for he confirmation. It feels good to know I am grasping the weather information.
The briefer did mention north of my route poor visibility. I would have been coming in from a southern route.
My instructor had mentioned possibly signing me off for a night XC solo, on another day. I had never thought of that.

Any input anyone?

Thank you for he confirmation. It feels good to know I am grasping the weather information.
The briefer did mention north of my route poor visibility. I would have been coming in from a southern route.
My instructor had mentioned possibly signing me off for a night XC solo, on another day. I had never thought of that.

Any input anyone?

I don't think a student could solo at night, but I may be wrong.

Keep us updated on your solo cc.

Back