Solo XC - 6 airports and 3 landings

westslopeco

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Westslopeco
I finally got to do my solo XC on Saturday. What an adventure.

I planned a round robin from BJC (Rocky Mtn Metro aka Jeffco) to CYS (Cheyenne) to SNY (Sidney, NE) then back to BJC via the GLL (Gill aka Greeley) VOR to avoid the Denver Class B. My weather briefing went well. Winds aloft were forecast at 7 knots. Wind at CYS was forecast to be above my endorsement, but probably not until after I got there. I still figured that there was a good chance that I would not be able to land there as the wind might beat me. Besides, Cheyenne is known for being a very windy city.

I took off and opened my flight plan. I made my first checkpoint as planned. My next checkpoint showed my ground speed as a little better than planned. Things were going great, nice calm air, making my checkpoints like clockwork. As I started to get close to CYS I started to pick up occasional light turb. I tuned in the CYS ATIS, and the wind was gusting to 22kts. That is above my endorsement, so I decided to divert. I found a powerline on the sectional that followed the edge of the CYS class D. I located the powerline on the ground, and made sure I kept it between me and the field.

Getting on course for SNY, my first checkpoint was a small airport just north of I-80, Pinebluff (82V). Coming up on Pinebluff, I tuned the AWOS, and was happy to hear that winds were 8knts. I figured that as I went east, away from CYS, things would get better, and that report confirmed that suspicion. My next Checkpoint was the Kimball (IBM) airport. Their AWOS was reporting 7 knots, even better. As I got near SNY, I finally got good reception for the ASOS, gusting to 18kts… Guess I’m not landing there. I turned south to pick up the 230 radial for the SNY VOR. Climbing to 8500’ I started to encounter more and more pockets of light to mod turb. I realized that I was fighting a pretty strong headwind, as my first checkpoint was a long time in coming.

As I approached the Greeley VOR, I started to be a little concerned about my fuel remaining. My calculations showed that I should have about 1.25 hours left enough to get back to BJC with legal reserve per the POH. Still, I remembered another instructor remarking that he thought that the fuel burn was a little higher in this plane than stated in the POH. I decided to exercise PIC authority and land at Greeley even though I did not have an endorsement to do so in my logbook (someone here once said “Skin, Tin, Ticket” and I thought about that as I lined up on final). After landing I sticked the tanks, and sure enough only had 6 gallons left. Just under one hour of fuel. With the winds I was experiencing, I would have been landing at BJC without legal reserve.

I called my CFI to let him know of my situation. He congratulated me on making a good decision. He also informed me that because GXY is only 39 nautical from BJC, that if I didn’t divert to another field and do a touch and go, this flight would not count as a cross country. Looking at the chart, we both decided that Fort Morgan (FMM) was a good choice. I called FSS and amended my flight plan and got a briefing for the new leg. All looked good to go, except that I only had .5 hours of legal fuel on board. I saw the self serve pumps over on the side of the ramp. No time like the present to learn how to use a self serve aviation gas pump I figured. It turned out to be pretty easy, the card reader even reminded you to ground the aircraft. After putting in 14 gallons, and a quick call to the FMM AWOS to check wind, I was off.

Departing GXY I intercepted the 095 radial for the GLL VOR, which would take me just south of the FMM airport. I found the little Fort Morgan field without problem. It was a nice little field with absolutely no traffic. I made my calls on the CTAF anyway out of habit, and just because you never know who might show up. After making one of the best landings yet of my short career (with no one around to see it), I departed, following the 095 radial back to GXY (to avoid the Denver Class B ).

Coming up on Greeley, I tuned my NAV to the BJC VOR, and started tracking in to home. I tuned the ATIS (about 25 miles away) and to my surprise I actually picked it up. I listened to information Victor, and much to my surprise (and to those who write the TAFs), the wind was gusting to 14kts. That is above my endorsement, so I figured I would be diverting and someone would have to come pick me up. I tuned the Longmont (LMO) AWOS, but was too far to receive yet. I continued flying south in increasing turb. By this time it was continuous light to moderate. Finally I got the LMO AWOS, and they were reporting calm winds. I was surprised as LMO is about 15 nm to the North of BJC. I tuned the BJC ATIS, and it had changed to Whiskey, with winds gusting to 18kts. Ok, so I really am going to divert. I next tuned to Erie’s (EIK) AWOS, hoping for the best, as Erie is only 7nm to the East from BJC. I was surprised to hear the wind was only 3 kts. I once again tuned the BJC ATIS, hoping things might have gotten better. Nope, now we were on information Xray, gusting to 22 kts.

I made my way to Erie, descending to TPA, switching back and forth between the CTAF and the AWOS. I figured that something was coming in wind wise, and was hoping that I would beat it to Erie. The only other traffic in the pattern at Erie was a helo, and he was on final when I entered the pattern on the downwind leg. My last quick check of the AWOS, was wind at 5 kts, pretty much right down the runway. I touched down a little hard (came in to fast) and taxied over to the ramp. I shut down with 4.3 on the hobbs, and called FSS to close my flight plan. The briefer put a PIREP in the system when I told him that I diverted to Erie because it was calm, while BJC was gusting to 24 kts now. After handing off the plane to an IFR student, I got a ride back to BJC.

I thought that it was a pretty good flight all things considered. I had to make decisions on my own. I really felt like a pilot. I never felt lost, or even temporarily positionally unsure. I think I learned more from the flight than had the weather been stellar and I made my trip as planned.

So that is how my first solo XC involved flight to 6 airports, with only 3 landings….

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony, I'm glad to see you moving along so well. Congratulations on the accomplishment.!

You know, it sounds to me as if a PILOT wrote that! :yes: Congratulations!

Very good decision making and keeping track of your fuel / time. The C152 I fly burns more than book, typically 2 gallons more on a 150nm flight, even leaned out properly.

keep up the good work,.. you're on your way. I was tired after my Long XC at 3.6 hrs,.. can't imagine 4.3 yet...

Nice job on the in-flight decision-making Tony. It's the reason we pilots always need to be thinking "what if..."

-Rich

Terrific job, Tony! It's clear you understand the COMMAND responsibilities of being PIC very well.

Good, good job - good decisions, good results! I agree - it sounds like a pilot wrote that, to me! :)

Another echo: excellent judgement, there... well-played.
And even if you'd seen 2 hrs' worth when you sticked the tanks at Greeley, you made a conservative decision instead of shrugging and hoping for the best.

And yes, what is it with the bad landing/good landing witness ratio? :rolleyes:

That's great, Tony! You handled the situation well. I'm glad to see your progress. Before long it'll be time for your check ride!

Not to be a spoilsport or nothing but I don't see a mention of getting a glass of iced tea at the Barnstormer @ GXY. To me, this omission seems like an important point and it reflects poorly on your ground proceedures. ;-)

You have parked on the closed taxiway @ FNL and walked over to Hooters for wings, haven't you?

More seriously, good job on getting the XC in and returning a servicible aircraft!

I always told'em to look over the plane real careful like when I came back from a student XC. Kept'em a little nervous I think.

Thanks for the encouragement!!!! I do feel like I am close to the checkride. I just need to sharpen the skills that I have learned (especially crosswind landings :().

Your sharpening of skills will never stop. All you're proving for your private pilot checkride is that you're good enough to go out and learn how to get better. :)

A lot of people seem to have difficulty with crosswind landings. I think it's something that seems unnatural, and plus there are enough horror stories out there. Make sure to get enough training and practice with them that you're proficient and comfortable with them, as they are likely to occur. Personally, I don't think they're a big deal. I know a number of people who'd disagree with me.

Back