Solo X-C Sign Off!

DutchessFlier

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
DutchessFlier
Got Signed-Off for my solo X-C's this morning :yesnod: Gonna try to fly them this week, depending on WX and my work schedule. Will keep you all advised.

Kudos. This is the best part of the training IMHO.

Enjoy!

As for the WX double check your go/no-go decision with a CFI on the morning you depart if the WX is anything less than CAVU. Always good to have someone go over your thinking at this point to make sure your conclusions are correct.

I'm a little confused. Did you receive an endorsement that is good for a whole week?

I'm assuming you are a student pilot, part of the instructor's responsibility is to review the current and forecast weather and determine the flight can be completed VFR.

To me that means I have to do it the day of the flight.

Not that that reduces my congratulations.

Joe

My student certificate is now endorsed for solo X-C flight in the 172, my log book is endorsed for the solo X-C and I have an updated Pilot Qualification card for solo X-C flight. We had scheduled for tomorrow, but my CFI called me this afternoon to change to a later date this week. WX forecast will determine the go-no go decision. Before I fly, of course, the entire flight plan and my nav logs will be reviewed together. The route is already determined, and includes charlie airspace, since the destination airport lies within class C.

Oh...CAVU is tough to find this time of year, especially with the WX conditions we have at this time Hazy, Hot and Humid...sorta gotta wish the plane off the runway. Gonna definitely fly in the morning (if I have the visibility) to avoid the massive density altitude problems and of course the CB's. Late this morning the DA at field elevation (165) was almost 2800 ft.

Last edited:
Have fun, and you might want to have an alternate trip planned beforehand so you can "plug it in" with the current weather and not waste your rental slot time sitting there planning a different flight. I am assuming this is OK with your CFI- if it hasn't been discussed, you might want to present the alternate route for approval.
I mention this because I had to do just that- basically a flight south rather than northwest (out of KTEB ) because of weather... the instructor had suggested I might think about an alternate, but I didn't get around to it... didn't waste too much time on it, and I was able to get the chief instructor to approve it, but obviously it would have been better to have it ready beforehand.

Last edited:
Congratulations. I'm just a few steps behind you; I did my 3rd XC Sunday night from FRG to HFD. I'll be doing one more before my XC prog check, then it's solo time.

Rotty: Wish I coud do an alernate, but the rule here is that first solo X-C must be from POU to SCH.

When you get your ticket, Joe, I will come down to LI and pick you up and we can go for that 100 lobster on Martha's Vineyard!!! Keep Going! BTW isn't flying into the Hartford area fun at night!!! I did my night X-C to BDL.

Back